Super speedy & healthy Vegan Biscuits made with wholewheat flour, ground almonds & absolutely no oil. They can be baked up & ready in under 15 minutes!
These really quick, easy and Healthy Vegan Biscuits are from The Mindful Vegan by Lani Muelrath.
Back when I first started A Virtual Vegan, I featured Lani’s awesome Portobello Pot Roast recipe from The Plant-Based Journey and it has since become one of the most popular recipes on my website. It is so well loved amongst you all and for good reason. It’s a fantastic recipe.
Her new book, The Mindful Vegan, is a 30-day plan for finding health, balance, peace and happiness. It teaches you the techniques of mindfulness meditation, as a means of controlling mindless or compulsive eating which can affect your weight, health, food choices, and peace of mind.
Read on for details of how you can win your very own copy of the book!
MOM’S BAKING POWDER BISCUITS WITH ALMONDS
As well as the 30-day plan for finding health, balance, peace and happiness, The Mindful Vegan contains a handful of recipes, one of which is this Healthy Vegan Biscuits recipe which in the book Lani calls “Mom’s Baking Powder Biscuits with Almonds”. I changed the name slightly here for SEO (or pleasing Google) purposes!
The recipe is based on her Mom’s go-to recipe for Strawberry Shortcake and has become a breakfast favourite in her family.
Unlike many Biscuit recipes, this one contains absolutely no oil or butter. It is made with only whole-wheat flour, ground almonds, baking powder, salt, plant-based milk and a little vinegar.
These Healthy Vegan Biscuits are so simple and quick to make. Within 15 minutes you can be pulling them from the oven.
Whilst they aren’t as indulgent as biscuits made with refined white flour and vegan butter, they bake up really nicely and make a great, much healthier alternative. The ground almonds add a touch of buttery richness and sweetness.
HOW TO SERVE HEALTHY VEGAN BISCUITS
It kind of defeats the healthiness of them, but they are awesome served warm with my Easy Vegan Butter and a splodge of jam. Chia Jam would make a great healthier alternative to regular jam.
As the biscuits aren’t sweetened at all they would also be great with gravy, tofu scrambles, vegan sausage, soups and chili. You could make an awesome cobbler type topping with the batter too.
This is why I am loving these Healthy Vegan Biscuits:
- They are incredibly quick to make (under 15 mins!)
- Because they are drop biscuits, there is no cutting out involved
- They are super healthy, whole-grain, sugar free and oil-free
- They freeze and reheat brilliantly
WIN YOUR OWN COPY OF THE MINDFUL VEGAN BY LANI MUELRATH
BenBella Books is kindly offering a copy of The Mindful Vegan for me to give away to one lucky reader. Scroll down to just below the recipe and follow the instructions in the widget for a chance to win.
The giveaway is open to residents of the U.S and Canada only.
Healthy Vegan Biscuits with Almonds
- 180g / 1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 50g / ½ cup almond meal (you can easily grind up whole almonds in a food processor or blender until they are a flour type consistency)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Mix the vinegar with the plant-based milk and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add the soured milk, and mix until all ingredients are moistened; avoid over-stirring.
- Drop large spoonfuls onto a nonstick baking sheet or one lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
If you did, be a ☆ and let me know what you think by rating it and commenting below. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan