Breakfast just got reinvented with these sweet, tender, comforting, super nutritious Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats. They are crazy yummy & surprisingly quick to prepare!
You all must know by now that I am ever so slightly sweet potato obsessed. Surely all of my sweet potato-ey recipes are a dead giveaway. They have been sneaked into everything from my Baked Mac and Cheese to my Sweet Potato Pancakes. They have even made it into cake! Well today they are arriving in Sweet Potato Breakfast Boat form thanks to the lovely Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee and their new book Frugal Vegan.
Frugal Vegan is full of super tasty, affordable, easy vegan recipes as well as practical tips to help you create stunning plant-based meals that will not only save you money, but save you time too.
It's the perfect book for people who like to cook simple, easy recipes. Nothing in it is complicated and you wont find any 'out there' ingredients.
It covers all bases with breakfasts, snacks, salads, soups, entrees, sauces, dressings, desserts and baked goods and every recipe looks delicious.
I have tried and loved the Pineapple Scones, Mushroom Stroganoff, Sweet Potato Steaks with Chimichurri Sauce and of course today's recipe, the Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats.
I had such a hard time deciding what to share with you today, that I ended up starting a little poll on my Facebook page to help me decide. These Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats won and I'm so glad they did as I really enjoyed scoffing them for lunch yesterday after taking my photos!
Now the Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats have been made I will be moving on to:
Warm Wild Rice Salad with Mushrooms and Arugula
Crispy Tofu Buffalo Bowl
Gooey Mushroom Quesadillas
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
And if that wasn't enough: Crispy Vegan Bacon ????
Once you give this recipe a try let me know what you think in the comments below or share a pic on Instagram. Use the hashtag #avirtualvegan. And if you want to get hold of a copy of the Frugal Vegan it's available in all good book stores or you can pick it up from Amazon here without even leaving the house!
Sweet Potato Breakfast BoatsAuthor:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ½ medium avocado , mashed
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 100g / ½ cup black beans ,drained and rinsed
- 72g / ½ cup frozen corn , thawed
- 65g / ¼ cup salsa
- salt , to taste
- pepper , to taste
- Using a fork, poke holes all around the sweet potato. Place it on a paper towel or microwave-safe plate and microwave for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise, and then, with the fleshy parts facing up, cut a slit lengthwise down the middle of each half. Use a couple of forks to split open the sweet potato halves so you’re left with little pockets.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the cumin and cayenne. Then, fill each sweet-potato boat with the avocado, followed by the black beans, corn and salsa. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.