Vegan Loaded Sweet Potato makes a fast, easy, filling and nutritious meal. Ready in less than 20 minutes, just 5 ingredients plus a couple of optional spices, and so delicious!
Today we’re making Vegan Loaded Sweet potatoes. And not just any loaded sweet potatoes...These are FAST and so easy. Perfect for when you want a super quick, healthy lunch or dinner without much effort.
These have become a staple for me and I make them often. You all must know by now that I am ever so slightly sweet potato obsessed. Any excuse I can get to enjoy them, I'm taking it and this is such an easy sweet potato recipe.
Vegan Loaded Sweet Potatoes are naturally gluten-free, high in fibre and protein, and made with just a handful of ingredients.
Here's what you'll be needing to make them:
- Sweet potato - Any variety of sweet potato will do. You can even use a yam. Just make sure it's a size you will be comfortable eating in one portion. Not too big and not too small.
- Avocado - This needs to be perfectly ripe.
- Black beans - From a can or black beans you have cooked your self from dry. Leftover Instant Pot Black Beans or Slow Cooker Black Beans work well too.
- Corn - Either frozen or from a can.
- Salsa - Store-bought for convenience!
- Spices - Cumin and cayenne pepper but you can switch these up with chili powder or paprika instead or any of your favourites.
Success tip - Don't use sweet potatoes that are too thin. Choose nice rounded ones otherwise they will be difficult to stuff.
How to make Vegan Loaded Sweet Potato
Make these vegan baked sweet potatoes is so fast and simple! Here's how:
- Cook the sweet potato until fork tender. I like to do this in the microwave for speed but you can bake them in an oven if you prefer. I've included directions for both.
- Mash the avocado with the spices and top the split sweet potato.
- Top the avocado with black beans, salsa and corn.
That's it. Told you it was fast and easy!
Vegan stuffed sweet potatoes topping ideas
These Vegan Loaded Sweet Potatoes are delicious as is, but you can also have fun and make them your own. These are all great toppings for sweet potatoes:
- Sliced avocado
- Avocado dressing
- Store-bought guacamole instead of the mashed avocado
- Any variety of canned beans
- Fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley
- Red onions or green onions
- Lime juice
- Habanero hot sauce
- Leftover chili
- Instant Pot Black Beans or Slow Cooker Black Beans
- Chopped tomatoes, mango, jalapeño or cucumber
- Tangy vegan sour cream, vegan yogurt or cashew cream
- Shredded vegan cheese or some crumbles of vegan feta cheese
Storing & reheating leftovers
- Storing: Store leftover stuffed sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can store the potatoes already stuffed, or store the sweet potatoes and filing separately and stuff them when you want to eat.
- Reheating: Reheat the Vegan Loaded Sweet Potatoes in the microwave on medium high for a couple of minutes, or in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Vegan Loaded Sweet PotatoAuthor:
- Using a fork, poke 4 or 5 holes in the sweet potato. Place it on a paper towel or microwave-safe plate and microwave for 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft and cooked through. To oven bake, cut the sweet potato in half lengthways, rub with a tin bit of oil and bake cut side down on a lined baking tray. 450°F for about 25 to 30 minutes although that will vary depending on the potato size so adjust accordingly.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh and mash with the cumin, cayenne and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- If the corn is frozen put it in a small bowl and pour over some boiling water from a kettle. Leave for a minute or two, then drain.
- Once cooked, split the potato, then top with the mashed avocado, black beans, corn and salsa.