If you are anything like me you always end up cooking too much rice and end up with some left over.
I hate wasting food and this healthy mushroom fried rice is the perfect recipe for using up the leftovers.
This recipe is very easily customized. Feel free to swap out any of the vegetables for whatever you have in your fridge. Just about anything would work.
This healthy mushroom fried rice makes a great lunch and is equally as good for dinner. It comes together very quickly and can easily be doubled or tripled to accommodate more people.
Mushroom Fried Rice
- 40g | 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 bunch salad onions , / spring onions chopped into small pieces
- 1 stick celery , chopped into small chunks
- 1 small bell pepper , chopped into small chunks
- 150g 2 cups of mushrooms (I used Cremini)
- 300 | 2 cups cold cooked rice (white, brown or wild all work well)
- 2 tablespoons tamari , soy sauce or coconut aminos
- Put a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add your cashew nuts to the pan and toast gently for a few minutes until just starting to go brown. Set the nuts aside.
- Add the sesame oil to the same pan and warm through.
- Add most of the onions (leave a few to scatter over raw at the end), celery and pepper and fry for a few minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Pour in the rice and Tamari and store well.
- Keep moving everything about in the pan until the rice has heated through.
- Add the cashews and remove from the heat.
- Scatter over the remaining raw onions.
- Serve at once.