A simple, super speedy & delicious Brussels Sprout & Cashew Fried Rice in a delicious tamari, maple sauce.
I celebrated a bit of a special birthday at the weekend.
I'd rather not announce to the whole bloggerverse how old I was but let's just say that the cake nearly went up in flames when the forty candles were lit........
Over indulgence happened all weekend long and a lot of eating out was involved so today even though I worked late and was pressed for time, I wanted to make sure we had a nice, healthy home cooked meal.
A SUPER SPEEDY DINNER
This Brussels Sprout & Cashew Fried Rice was super speedy to throw together. How many meals can you honestly say take 15 minutes or less from start to finish? There aren't many but this is one of them along with my Easy Tomato Basil Soup and my Spicy Swiss Chard Soba Noodle Stir Fry. With just seven ingredients (plus oil) and a few minutes of your time you can have a delicious, healthy and filling meal that the whole family will love.
TREAT YOUR BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH RESPECT
Gone are the days of boiling brussels sprouts in a pan of water until they turn into bitter, slimy, snotty little lumps. Treat them with the respect they deserve and try them raw and sliced finely in salads, roasted in the oven with olive oil and salt and pepper, or stir fried as they are in this recipe.
Brussels Sprouts are little power houses of nutrition. They are full of vitamins and minerals, surprisingly high in protein (2 grams per half a cup) and like other cruciferous vegetables they offer many healthy benefits. They are also deemed to be great for anti-aging. I do hope this is right as I need all the help I can get at the moment!
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS BRUSSELS SPROUT & CASHEW FRIED RICE
If you make this Brussels Sprout & Cashew Fried Rice please leave a comment below to let me know what you think. I'm dying to know! You can also share your pictures on Instagram (@avirtualvegan) and add the hashtag #avirtualvegan so I don’t miss them! I love to know what you think of my recipes!
If you adore Brussels Sprouts as much as me then try my Bubble & Squeak Patties. You will not be disappointed!
Brussels Sprout & Cashew Nut Fried RiceAuthor:
- 2 teaspoons oil of choice , Sesame oil is nice but any will do
- 2 heaping cups / around 250g halved brussels sprouts
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon tamari you can sub soy sauce if you don't have Tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup can sub for honey if not vegan or agave but maple will give the best flavour so use if you can
- 2 cups / around 380g cooked and cooled brown rice (You can use white rice if you prefer)
- ¼ cup around 34g cashew nuts
- Heat a large skillet over a medium heat and add the oil.
- When hot add the brussels sprouts and sauté until just tender (about 4 minutes).
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for another few minutes until the onion is just beginning to turn a golden brown.
- Add the tamari and maple syrup and stir well to coat the vegetables.
- Add the rice and cashew nuts and continue cooking for another couple of minutes or until the rice is piping hot.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.