Simple, protein-packed Kidney Bean Salad with Lemon and Parsley. Filled with texture & bright, fresh, zesty flavours and perfect for a healthy, light lunch or tasty side!
This very easy to make, zippy and fresh and protein-packed Kidney Bean Salad is loaded with kidney beans, chickpeas, cucumber, sweet onion and parsley.
It's all brought together with an appropriately lemony, garlicky dressing and it's here for all of your summer-forward vegan salad and side dish needs!
To make this simple and quick kidney bean salad you'll be needing all of the above. Use canned beans or beans you've cooked yourself at home. Red beans can be used instead of the kidney beans. Even black beans would work. It's pretty flexible!
How to make Kidney Bean Salad
This red bean salad is so easy. Here's how it's done:
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans and the chickpeas and add to a large bowl along with the chopped cucumber and parsley.
- Put the dressing ingredients in a jar or small bowl and give them a good stir, whisk or shake.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Toss together well.
Success tip - After making the salad let it all sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving so the flavours have time to blend together nicely.
This red kidney bean salad recipe is bright, light and refreshing. It's perfect for serving at BBQs, picnics or pot lucks. Try enjoying it with:
- Pita bread or 15 minute no yeast flatbread
- Vegan Crab Cakes
- Baked Tofu
- Vegan Chicken Breasts
- Kidney Bean Burgers
- Grilled food
Store leftover salad in an airtight container. It will last for 2 to 3 days in the fridge. You can make it last a little longer by making it without the parsley. Then add the parsley just before you serve to keep it fresh and wilt-free.
With all of those beans it's already a pretty substantial salad, but if you want to make it even more so, try stirring some cooked and cooled quinoa, couscous or rice and extra veggies like bell peppers, corn, green onion, raw carrot, dill pickles, chopped celery or cherry tomatoes. A crumble of my vegan feta cheese over the top would be really delicious, and fresh cilantro or basil work well in place of or as well as the fresh parsley.
Yes, kidney beans are safe to eat straight from the can.
You don't need to cook/boil canned kidney beans because they are already pre-cooked.
Beans of all kinds are an important part of a healthy diet. US dietary guidelines recommend adults eat 3 cups of of legumes, including beans per week. Beans are very low in fat, dense in macro and micronutrients and they provide us with complex carbohydrates, dietary fibre and plant-based protein. For more info on their nutritional composition and health benefits see this evidence-based article from North Dakota State University.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Kidney Bean SaladAuthor:
For the salad
- 1½ cups (1 x 15oz can) kidney beans , drained and rinsed, (a 398 ml can in Canada)
- 1½ cups (1 x 15oz can) chickpeas , drained and rinsed, (a 398 ml can in Canada)
- 1 medium cucumber , diced
- ½ medium sweet white or red onion , finely chopped
- 1 cup (or 1 to 2 big handfuls) flat leaf parsley , chopped or torn
For the dressing
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice , usually around 1 large juicy lemon or 1½ medium ones
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , (omit to make oil-free)
- 2 small cloves garlic , minced very finely or grated
- 1 - 2 teaspoons sugar , or a little drop of maple syrup or agave
- ½ teaspoon salt , or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper , or to taste
- Drain and rinse the beans then add to a large salad bowl.
- Add the chopped cucumber, onion and parsley.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together, or put them in a jar and give them a good shake. I recommend adding the sugar to taste so you get the perfect balance of tangy and sweet for you.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together well.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience. The data is a computer generated estimate and should be used as a guide only.