This One-Pot Spicy Vegetable Rice is our go to favourite mid-week dinner. 30 minutes & one pot is all that is standing between you & a big bowl full of deliciously spiced, flavourful rice studded with sweet, soft veggies.
I have been making this One-Pot Spicy Vegetable Rice for years and years and it is one of our favourite mid week, quick and easy dinners. I can’t remember where the original recipe from, but I know that it involved chicken and seafood and was kind of a Spanish paella type dish. Of course, the ingredients I use have changed over the years and it has evolved into a cruelty free, spicy veggie rice which gets made very frequently.
Once the vegetables are prepared and chopped, the whole thing is super quick to put together. Just sauté the vegetables, add the rice, spices, seasoning and the water and simmer gently for about twenty minutes. That’s it.
Smoked paprika and turmeric are two of my favourite spices and they marry together beautifully in this very flavourful dish. The bell peppers become super sweet and the grape tomatoes give bursts of flavour in each bite. We love it served with a generous drizzle of hot sauce and sometimes, as a treat, a spicy Field Roast Sausage!
If you have young children or someone who doesn’t like spicy food you can omit the chili from this recipe to make it ‘unspicy’ rice. If you do this, those that like a bit of spice can just add hot sauce to their individual bowls once it’s served.
If you end up with any leftovers they reheat really well. In fact I often make double. It keeps well in the fridge for a day or two and is perfect to reheat at mealtimes when time is at a premium.
Bell peppers, onions and garlic are essential to the flavour in this recipe but the other vegetables are pretty flexible. Replace them with whatever you have in your fridge or customize to suit your tastes. As long as you use roughly the same quantities all will be good.
I would love to know what you think of this One-Pot Spicy Vegetable Rice so please leave your comments below. Share your pictures on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan. Use the tag #avirtualvegan so I don’t miss them.
If you love peppers then check out my 21 Delicious Ways to Celebrate National Pepper Month over on Parade’s Community Table.
Yields 4 servings
This One-Pot Spicy Vegetable Rice is our go to favourite mid-week dinner. 3o minutes & one pot is all that is standing between you & a big bowl full of deliciously spiced, flavourful rice studded with sweet, soft veggies.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 3 medium carrots chopped into small pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 2 large bell peppers cut into large chunks (red, yellow or orange are best in this)
- 1 cup of frozen peas (or chopped green beans)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili /red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (you can sub this for chipotle powder)
- 250g or 1 slightly rounded cup uncooked rice ( basmati works best)
- 3 cups water
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Saute the onions until translucent. If you do not wish to use oil then use can dry fry them or use a drop of water instead.
- Add the carrots, garlic and bell peppers and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Add the rice, tomatoes, peas, spices, seasoning and water.
- Stir really well and cook until the liquid starts to bubble.
- Turn down low, cover with a lid and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.