This is what happens when a beautiful chocolate brownie and a handsome can of chickpeas have a secret love child......Yes it's Dessert Chocolate Hummus....Yes it is amazingly delicious....And yes dessert hummus is a thing!
It's only Dessert Chocolate Hummus! The two loves of my life, chocolate and chickpeas, combined in a blissful and extremely delicious union. This chocolate hummus is a wonderfully rich, chocolatey multi-purpose dip/spread.
This Dessert Chocolate Hummus is extremely versatile. It is wonderful as a dip.
How to serve
My favourite dippers for this dessert hcocolate hummus are salty pretzels. There is just something about the combination of crunchy, salty pretzels and the cool, soft, extra chocolatey hummus. It is magic.
Other fabulous dessert hummus dippers asides from pretzels are:
- pita chips
- Digestive biscuits
- toast fingers
- fruit (in particular strawberries, apple slices and banana - try frozen banana!)
Using fruit is a wonderful way to get healthy stuff into your children without an argument!
Try it in a banana sandwich too. Spread two slices of bread generously with it, add lots of sliced banana, sandwich it all together and hey presto, you have a Brownie Batter Hummus and banana sandwich.
Once of the most interesting ways to use this hummus is as a frosting on cakes, brownies and cupcakes. It's so much healthier and much lower in fat than regular frosting and tastes just as good.
You can also use it as a pancake or waffle topping either as it is, or dilute it slightly with a bit of non-dairy milk then warm it gently to make an easy chocolate sauce. So yum!
This Chocolate Hummus is fabulous for dessert or snacks and would be awesome at parties and pot-lucks too.
Hungry for more?
If you love dessert hummus be sure to check out my Snickerdoodle Dessert Hummus too!
Subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too. Also be sure to check out my cookbook Vegan Comfort Cooking for even more recipes!
Dessert Chocolate Hummus
- 2 cups | 1 540ml can cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed well
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup | 100g chocolate chips I like to use semi-sweet but you can use whatever you have
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons | 6 tablespoons maple syrup see recipe note
- ¼ - ¾ cup | 4 - 12 tablespoons non-dairy milk , add as much milk as necessary to get it to the texture you like.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Add all of the ingredients except the milk to a food processor or high powered blender.
- Process until everything is broken down then start adding the milk gradually while blending. Add as much as you need to get the consistency that is right for you. I used ¼ cup but you might prefer slightly more or less. Keep blending until it is completely smooth.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.