This rich, soft Fig and Black Olive Tapenade with Rosemary is my twist on traditional tapenade. Dark, deep & earthy olives are blended with ripe, plump & juicy figs to make an irresistibly delicious spread with a striking balance of sweet & savoury flavours.
The inspiration for this recipe came from a local cafe called Pure Vanilla, the same cafe that the inspiration for my Raspberry Walnut Squares came from. We went there for lunch a few weeks ago and I ordered the Mezze Plate. The tapenade totally took me by surprise when I tried it. It was so incredibly delicious and had a flavour that I just couldn’t put my finger on. When I finished eating I was so curious that I had to go check the menu again. It turns out that it had figs in it.
As soon as we left I went on a fig hunt. I needed to recreate it stat and within an hour of returning home I had myself a lovely pot of beautiful, rich, soft Fig and Black Olive Tapenade with Rosemary. It was so good I ended up eating a lot of it straight from the food processor when I was decanting it. Mine tastes a little different to theirs but in a good way.
The flavours in this Fig and Black Olive Tapenade are complex but mind blowingly delicious . The combination of deep, earthy black olives and sweet, ripe, roasted plump figs is a taste sensation and the addition of a little fresh and fragrant rosemary gives it an added pop. It makes a lovely change to standard tapenade and is great for people who tend to find the regular kind a little strong and olivey.
Ways to use this Fig and Black Olive Tapenade with Rosemary:
- With fresh crusty bread. It is particularly good with ciabatta, foccacia, baguette or pita bread.
- As a dip with pita chips, crackers, bread sticks or chopped vegetables.
- On crostini
- As part of a platter with all of the above plus some good vegan cheese and a plentiful supply of red wine (great for parties and get togethers).
- As a sandwich or wrap filling
- As an alternative to tomato sauce on pizza
- In a simple pasta dish – Toss quarter cup through a serving of cooked pasta. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan (I make a quick one one with brazil nuts, nutritional, yeast, salt, a small piece of lemon zest and a pinch of smoked paprika – whiz in a blender and you’re done)
- Stirred through freshly boiled and drained new potatoes for a great side or snack
Black Olive Tapenade with Figs & Rosemary
- 6 fresh figs (any kind) or 6 plump Black Mission Dried Figs
- 398ml | 14oz jar or can black olives (a slightly smaller or larger can or jar is fine and in oil or brine is ok)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary (see recipe notes)
- If using fresh figs preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut the stems off the figs and place on a baking sheet. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- If using dried figs put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water to soften them up. Drain after about 15 minutes.
- Add all of the ingredients including the figs, to a food processor and process until well combined.
- Will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for about a week.