This seasonal Persimmon Smoothie is quick & easy to make, naturally high in protein, gluten-free & full of warming, sweet cinnamon flavours.
This super creamy Persimmon Smoothie is naturally sweet with delicious warming cinnamon undertones and might just become your new favourite way to eat persimmon!
It's a great way to use excess or overripe persimmon and as their season is so short it's nice to really make the most of them while we can, in between enjoying some delicious and seasonal pumpkin smoothies too.
Ingredients & Substitutions
The ingredients to make this Cinnamon Persimmon Smoothie are pretty simple:
- Persimmon - Any kind, just make sure it's nice and ripe. It should feel a little squishy.
- Frozen banana - For creaminess and to chill the smoothie.
- Dairy-free milk - Any plant milk such as cashew milk, soy milk, oat milk, or almond milk will work in this recipe. You could also use a combination of milk and vegan yogurt for extra creaminess.
- Cinnamon - Works so well with persimmon and adds some warmth which is important in fall and winter smoothies. You could use pumpkin spice instead.
- Nut/seed butter - This adds some extra creaminess and staying power thanks to the protein and healthy fats. it also gives a delicious nutty flavour that complements the persimmon and cinnamon. I love to use cashew or almond butter.
- Maple syrup - Optional. Only use it if you want a little extra sweetness. If your banana and persimmon are very ripe and sweet you probably won't need it.
How To Make A Persimmon Smoothie
Making a persimmon smoothie is as simple as cutting the persimmon into chunks then adding it along with all of the other ingredients to a blender and blending until smooth.
I recommend omitting the maple syrup at first then having a quick taste once it's blended to check the sweetness. You likely won't need to add any but if you do just add a drop and give it a quick blend after to combine.
I like to sprinkle some cinnamon on top of my persimmon smoothie before serving.
Turn It Into A Smoothie Bowl
This dairy-free persimmon smoothie can easily be made into a smoothie bowl by reducing the milk to make it extra thick. Start off with half the amount and add a little more as needed to get the thickness you want. Then you can top your delicious smoothie bowl with all kinds of toppings like:
Persimmon have a texture somewhere between apricot, plum and tomato. They are sweet and mild with cinnamon undertones. Once blended up in this smoothie the flavour is reminiscent of mild sweet pumpkin. Read about the nutritional benefits of persimmon here.
The skin on persimmon is pretty thin much like apple peel and is fine to eat. Just be sure to wash it first and remove the leaves from the top of the fruit.
Hungry for more?
Love this persimmon smoothie? You might also enjoy these seasonal vegan smoothies:
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
- 2 medium ripe persimmon
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1 cup (240 ml) dairy-free milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons nut or seed butter ,or a small handful of raw nuts if you have a high speed blender.
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon , add a little more if you prefer a stronger cinnamon taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup , OPTIONAL - add to taste
- Remove the leaves from the persimmon, discard, then cut each fruit into a few pieces. Add them along with all of the other ingredients except the maple syrup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Give it a quick taste from the blender and add the maple syrup if necessary. Give it a quick 5-second blend after adding it then serve.