A luscious, comforting and creamy Vegan Corn Chowder that is ready from start to finish in under 30 minutes & has only 5 ingredients (plus water & seasoning)!
This Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder is perfect for quick and easy mid-week dinners, or for those times when the thought of using a knife and fork is too much trouble..... Please tell me it's not just me that feels that way occasionally?
I have quite a few soups on the blog already but as they are one of my favourite things to eat, my feeling is that I can never have too many variations. Plus I haven't made one since my Creamy Cauliflower Horseradish Soup in March so I think we are due another.
This Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder has only 5 ingredients (plus water and seasoning) and is ready in only 30 minutes. The hardest part of making it is shucking the fresh corn and cutting the little kernels off but once that is done the rest is easy. If you aren't up for a bit of shucking (!?!...is it just me that finds this term amusing?!) then you could replace the fresh corn with frozen corn.
Fresh corn is so unbelievably sweet and juicy at the moment and it's also really cheap. I have been enjoying it raw in salads or gently steamed and we often grill it too. I had never made a corn chowder until now though.
The only reason it came about was because the weather changed unexpectedly and the corn we had bought to grill needed using up. I threw this chowder together really quickly one night after work, and realizing how tasty it was, had to recreate it a few days later so that I could record amounts and photograph it.
This Vegan Corn Chowder is creamy, thick and comforting. It's chunky and filling enough to eat on it's own but is also wonderful with some crusty bread. It's not something we would ever do in the UK, but I believe it's common here in Canada and in the US to eat crackers with soup or chowder? Being a relative newbie here though I am not totally sure so don't quote me on that!
It is totally optional but this chowder tastes really good with some chopped raw red bell pepper sprinkled over it. The pop of red colour makes it look really pretty too!
If you make this Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder let me know what you think in the comments below and if you can, share a picture with me on Instagram. I am @avirtualvegan or use the hashtag #avirtualvegan.
Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- 5½ cups cubed potato (about 4 large ones)
- 4 cups | 1 litre/1000 mls of water (or vegetable broth if using frozen corn)
- 4½ cups of corn kernels (about 5 medium ears) - Frozen corn can be used if fresh isn't available
- 400 ml can light coconut milk (see recipe note) or 1 carton of So Delicious Light Culinary Coconut Milk
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary
- Warm a large soup pan with the olive oil over a medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent. If you prefer to not use oil then replace with 2 teaspoons of water.
- While the onion is cooking shuck the corn and cut the kernels off.
- Add the garlic to the onions and sauté for another minute.
- Add the potatoes, water and the corn cobs (the middle woody part of the ears), or vegetable broth if using frozen corn) cover with a lid and simmer until the potato is tender (about 10 minutes).
- Once the potato is tender remove the corn cobs and discard.
- Add the corn kernels, coconut milk, salt, pepper and herbs.
- When hot, scoop out 3 cups and blend in a blender until smooth then return to the soup pan and stir well before serving.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.