Super tasty Chili Soup that can be made quickly on the stove-top or more slowly in a slow cooker. Simple, comforting & delicious with only 8 ingredients (plus water & salt)!
Chili soup? Does that sound a bit weird? When you are as obsessed with chili as me, then no. If it’s remotely chili like then I am in. Plus, it’s easy and needs no accompaniment except some bread. The lazy person in me loves that!
I’M TURNING INTO OLD MOTHER HUBBARD ????
It’s amazing how creative you can get when the cupboards are bare and you really can’t face going shopping. Like wanting to make your Three Bean Sweet Potato Chili and discovering you don’t have three beans, you don’t have sweet potato and you don’t have rice. I think I’m turning into Old Mother Hubbard……
For someone who loves food so much, my hate for food shopping is a bit strange. If I can get away without going I will at all costs, even if it means making a meal out of next to nothing.
CHILI SOUP WITH JUST 8 INGREDIENTS!
And this Chili Soup is made from next to nothing. Just eight ingredients plus salt and water. Most of them are store cupboard ingredients. The only fresh items needed are onion, garlic, bell peppers and carrots and I pretty much always have those on hand.
This soup can be made super quickly on the stove top, or super slowly in the slow cooker. I don’t have one, but I bet it would work brilliantly in an Instant Pot too. Whichever way suits your needs is the way to go.
As I mentioned before, the great thing about Chili Soup is that it needs no rice to make it complete. Serve with my No Knead Focaccia, or just a slice of bread or two with some homemade butter if you are feeling extravagant, or a wedge of cornbread perhaps, and you are good to go. But, if you happen to have some leftover cooked grains hanging about (think rice, millet, farro, sorghum, quinoa etc), then feel free to throw them in about ten minutes before serving. It’s a great way to use them up and it makes it even heartier. If you have some, a few slices of avocado on top too are awesome too!
Cheers to a comforting, cozy, steaming bowl of soup in what is nearly the end of soup season. Soup I will miss you, but I absolutely will not be missing the absolutely rotten, cold, damp, miserable winter we have been enduring. Spring is finally here….Please tell the weather because it doesn’t seem to have realized quite yet……..
If you give this wonderful Chili Soup a try be a ☆ and let me know what you think in the comments below. Perhaps share a pic with me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan.
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 796mls | 28 oz | 3 + ⅓ cup canned crushed tomatoes , or passata, (if you only have diced or whole canned tomatoes just run them through the blender until smooth)
- 796mls | 28oz | 3¼ cups canned kidney beans , drained
- 2 medium green bell peppers , deseeded and chopped
- 2 large carrots , peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ⅓ cup chili powder (see recipe notes if you are in the UK)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1200mls | | 40oz | 5 cups water
In a slow cooker
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on high for around 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours.
On the stove
- Saute the onion and carrot in 1 tablespoon of water over a medium heat until the onion is translucent (you can use 1 tablespoons of oil instead of water if you prefer).
- Add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes then add the chili powder and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, salt, thyme and water and allow to come to a gentle simmer, then cook for around 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. After this time you can turn it to low and leave it to simmer gently for another hour if you aren't ready to serve it immediately.
Estimated nutrition per serving: