Cranberry Pecan Brussels Sprout Salad is fresh & absolutely packed with flavour & interesting textures. It's also hearty & warming thanks to the orangey cinnamon dressing. This vegan Brussels sprout salad is just perfect for all of your fall & winter entertaining!
This Vegan Brussels Sprout Salad with cranberries, pecans and a creamy orange cinnamon dressing is what it's all about now. It's so good!
Remember the soggy, smelly, overcooked Brussels sprouts of your childhood? Well this could not be more different. No stinky soggy sprouts are allowed here!
Instead we have beautiful, paper thin, shredded Brussels sprouts so we get a shaved brussels sprout salad that's naturally gluten-free. Something about the shredding makes them fresher and milder and their texture is kind of crunchy, slightly chewy.
These little green ribbons work unbelievably well in salads, especially with the orange cinnamon dressing, the chewy dried cranberries (sour dried cherries would work really well too) and the crunchy nuts. So fresh, super yummy and packed with protein. I have been eating this vegan Brussel's sprout salad for lunch everyday for a week and it's such a great side dish to serve for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Almost like a brussels sprout slaw.
Now we could go all old fashioned and use a mandolin to shave our raw Brussels sprouts. Maybe lose a finger tip or two along the way? I have never ever used one because I just know that would happen to me if I did. They kind of scare me quite a lot. Or you could take the easy way out and use a food processor.
How to make Cranberry Pecan Brussels Sprout Salad
- Shred the raw Brussels sprouts in a food processor.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the cranberries.
- Chop the nuts and add them to the salad.
- Blend the dressing ingredients
- Pour over and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with more nuts, more cranberries and optional pomegranate arils to pretty it up! Maybe some vegan croutons or some salty vegan feta cheese too?
So easy, fresh and flavourful and unlike salads made with lettuce, this Cranberry Pecan Brussels Sprout Salad won't get really soggy if you don't eat it right away or if you have leftovers. This makes it great for meal prep.
The sweet orange and cinnamon balance with the sprout flavour perfectly and the cranberries and nuts provide chewy, crunchy texture and contrasting fruity nutty flavours. Optional pomegranate arils add more colour, texture and bursts of fresh juicy flavour.
It's all there, together in a bowl ready to make your fall salad dreams come true and with it's festive colours and flavours it will make a great addition to your holiday table!
Hungry for more?
Love salad recipes? You might also enjoy these seasonal favorites:
Vegan Brussels Sprout SaladAuthor:
- 1 large orange , zest and juice
- 1 shallot , or a small chunk of sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar , or white wine vinegar
- 5 pecan nuts , walnuts make a good sub. For a nut-free option see recipe notes.
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Wash the Brussels sprouts, removing any old leaves and the stubby bit of stalk.
- Shred the Brussels sprouts as finely as you can and put them into a large bowl. I use a food processor to do this as it makes it so quick and easy. Chop the nuts into small pieces and add them too along with the dried cranberries.
- Blend the dressing ingredients together until completely smooth. If you prefer a slightly thinner dressing just add a few drops of water until you get to the consistency you like.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with a few extra cranberries and pecans if you wish and also some optional pomegranate arils too if you have them.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.