When I am pushed for time I like to prepare a stir fry for dinner. Stir fries are the ultimate healthy fast food. They are so quick, easy and healthy. They also involve minimal dishes/pots and pans so there isn’t much washing up to do after. I might love to cook but I do not love the clearing up that comes with it!
I usually serve stir fry with either rice or noodles, like my Swiss Chard Soba Noodle Stir Fry, but I had some cooked quinoa sitting around in the fridge just asking to be put to good use and so it ended up in this Tofu & Quinoa Stir Fry.
I actually didn’t think this recipe would be blogworthy but when we sat down to dinner I discovered that it really was. Of course it was past saving for photos by then so I had to make it again a few days later and capture it before it got inhaled all over again!
This Tofu & Quinoa Stir Fry is:
Full of protein
And totally delicious.
This Tofu & Quinoa Stir Fry comes together from start to finish in under 20 minutes and half of that I have allowed for chopping. The actually cooking is around 10 minutes only. Perfect for an easy week night dinner.
Quinoa’s superfood status is certainly deserved. It is a complete protein, it is gluten free, it has a low glycemic index and is high in anti-inflammatory phyto nutrients. All in all it is pretty good for you. I know so some people do not like the look of it and I have even heard it called ‘creepy looking’. Personally I love quinoa as an ingredient and think those little curls are super cute!
This Tofu & Quinoa Stir Fry uses cooked and cooled quinoa. If you are unsure how to cook your quinoa correctly then there is a great video and instructions here.
As always I love to hear your feedback. Please leave comments in the comments section below and share your photos of my recipes on Instagram @avirtualvegan and add the hashtag #avirtualvegan so I don’t miss them!
If you want to try another great quinoa dish then check out my Lemon, Spinach & Cranberry Salad.
Tofu Quinoa Stir Fry
Quick, easy and healthy Tofu Quinoa Stir Fry. Ready in under 20 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 package extra firm tofu , cubed, (press it if you have time but don't worry too much if you don't)
- 1 large carrot (cut into matchsticks)
- 1 bell pepper , sliced, (yellow, orange or red are best to provide contrasting colours)
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 head broccoli , broken up into bite sized pieces, (I slice the stalks up thinly & throw them in too)
- 10 mushrooms , sliced
- 1 large handful snow peas
- 370g | 2 cups quinoa , cooked and cooled
- 1 bunch green/salad onions , sliced into small rounds
- 1 heaped teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 5 tablespoons tamari , or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Add the oil to a pan and fry the tofu (turning frequently) until starting to get crispy.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add carrot, broccoli and peppers to the pan and sauté over a medium heat for a few minutes until just starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and sauté for a minute or two longer.
Add the mushrooms and ¾ of the green onions.
- Cook for another couple of minutes.
- While cooking mix the tamari/soy sauce with the maple syrup and Chinese 5 spice in a small bowl.
- Add the quinoa and snow peas to the pan along with the Tamari/ soy sauce mixture and the tofu.
- Stir together well and cook until the quinoa is heated through.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining raw green onions.