This easy Marinara Sauce with Rosemary has a deep, rich tomato flavour with unmistakable aromatic undertones of rosemary. With only six store-cupboard ingredients (plus oil & seasoning) it can be thrown together quickly and easily. It can even be cooked in a slow cooker!
I love to cook with fresh, unprocessed ingredients but there are times when I need to rely on store-cupboard ingredients. This Easy Marinara Sauce With Rosemary is my 'save the day' recipe for times like that. It takes no effort at all to make and is really flexible with regards to timings. It is best if cooked slowly as the sauce has time to reduce and the flavours have time to deepen, but it can also be ready in as little as thirty minutes if you are pushed for time. It works really well in a slow cooker too. Literally just throw all the ingredients in, leave to cook on low for four to six hours and when you come back to check on it you will find a beautiful, rich tomato sauce waiting for you. So incredibly easy!
All the ingredients in this Easy Marinara Sauce With Rosemary are items that you probably already have at home. It is perfect for those days at the end of the week when your fresh supplies are dwindling or you are trying to stretch your budget by using up store-cupboard ingredients rather than go grocery shopping. I often double this recipe and freeze half for another time. That way I can have an effortless, almost no cook evening once in a while. It also keeps well in the fridge for five days or so.
This Easy Marinara Sauce With Rosemary has simple ingredients but is big on flavour. It is a recipe that your whole family will love and is extremely versatile. It can be served simply with pasta for a quick and easy meal, used to top a pizza (try it on my Roasted Garlic & Portobello Mushroom Pizza), added to lasagne, used as a base for other recipes such as soups, stews, or risottos and it's even good eaten cold as a dip for chips. You can also decant into mason jars like in my photos and gift to friends and family.
If you make this recipe I would love it if you could let me know what you think in the comments below. I've been really enjoying seeing your pictures on Twitter and Instagram too, so please carry on sharing them with me. I'm @avirtualvegan on both Twitter and Instagram. Add the hashtag #avirtualvegan on Instagram so I don't miss your pictures.
If you like this recipe then you might also enjoy my Roasted Pepper Pasta Sauce.
Easy Marinara Sauce with RosemaryAuthor:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 720mls | 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes (if you don't have crushed tomatoes then blitz chopped or whole tin tomatoes in a blender or with a stick blender)
- 1½ teaspoons dried rosemary (you may sub for fresh if you have some)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
In a slow cooker
- Add all ingredients (except oil) to slow cooker. If your slow cooker runs quite hot and tends to dry things out a bit add half a cup of water to the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours.
- Just before serving blitz with a stick blender or in a blender until smooth.
In a pan
- Heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until the onion is just starting to colour.
- Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, sugar and seasoning.
- Cook on medium until just starting to bubble, then turn down to low.
- Simmer gently for anything from 20 minutes to an hour depending on how much time you have.
- Just before serving blitz with a stick blender or blender until smooth.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.