Rich and exceptionally delicious Vegan Sausage Casserole. This is an easy, family-friendly recipe that's satisfying, big on flavour and made in less than an hour!
Calling all the easy dinner, big flavour lovers. This Vegan Sausage Casserole is for you! We're talking richly flavoured, with a good balance of meaty sausage and creamy white beans, bathing in thick and chunky tomato and bell pepper sauce.
This is a meal that's easy enough for midweek dinners and tasty enough to serve when you've got company. It's guaranteed to become a new family favourite!
Here's what you'll be needing to make Vegan Sausage Casserole:
And a few ingredient notes:
- Sausages - You can use any vegan sausages, but I highly recommend using Beyond Meat sausages if you can. They add the fat and delicious flavour that meat sausages would and their texture is fantastic in this casserole.
- Beans - For creamy texture, extra protein and interest. Any canned white beans such as cannellini beans, butter beans or white kidney beans are fine to use.
- Bell pepper - Red pepper is my preference in this recipe. They tend to be sweeter and the colour works well in the sauce.
- Canned diced tomatoes - Regular or fire roasted. Buy the ready diced/chopped tomatoes rather than using whole canned tomatoes because they keep their shape and don't dissolve. This gives the sauce its lovely chunky, hearty texture.
Special occasion? Feel free to replace all or half of the water in the recipe with red or white wine and add some sprigs of fresh herbs like sage, thyme or rosemary.
How to make Vegan Sausage Casserole
This Vegan Sausage Casserole is really easy to make. Here's how:
For full & detailed instructions see the recipe card at the end of the post
- Brown the sausages in a large oven proof skillet or casserole. Frying them like this first makes them lovely and golden and adds so much more flavour to your casserole. Or use a frying pan then transfer everything to a large casserole dish.
- Add the onions, peppers and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add all of the other ingredients and stir.
- Turn it off, cover with a lid or tightly with foil and pop in the oven to finish off.
Finishing in the oven means you don't have to keep an eye on it or keep stirring. With the whole sausages it's not the easiest to stir effectively. The oven also provides a more even heat from all angles so the casserole becomes extra rich, thick and delicious.
My favourite way to eat veggie sausage and bean casserole is over fluffy rice or creamy mashed potatoes. It's also great with roasted potatoes, steamed green vegetables, air fried carrots, or simply with some crusty bread to sop up that tasty sauce. A sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese is great on it too!
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
Vegan Sausage Casserole reheats really well. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat either in the oven on 350°F (175°C), or in a covered pan on the stove top. The time it takes will depend on how much you are reheating. Just be sure it is heated thoroughly until piping hot, making sure to check the insides of the sausages not just the sauce.
I prefer finishing this recipe in the oven. I think it improves the flavour and texture. However you can cook it 100% on the stove if you prefer. Just be sure to keep an eye on it and stir frequently.
Yes! Instructions are included in the recipe notes.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Vegan Sausage CasseroleAuthor:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 8 vegan sausages , I highly recommend using Beyond Meat sausages for the very best results (not the breakfast ones)
- 4 large cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large red bell pepper , deseeded & sliced
- 1 x 28oz (796 ml) can diced tomatoes , regular or fire roasted (2 x 400g cans in the UK)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste , (tomato puree in the UK)
- 1 x 15oz (400ml) can white beans , such as cannellini, white kidney, lima or butter beans (400g can in the UK)
- 1 tablespoon Italian mixed herbs , or herbes de provence (or similar)
- 1 cup water , (or red or white wine for a special occasion)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large ovenproof skillet or casserole. Add the whole sausages and cook until lightly golden on all sides. (Or use a frying pan and transfer to a ceramic casserole dish once the sausages and veggies have cooked).
- Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer until translucent. Then add the garlic and bell pepper.
- Cook for a further few minutes until the pepper starts to soften, then pour in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, drained white beans, herbs, water, pepper and salt. Give it a bit of a stir to break up the tomato paste and distribute everything.
- Cover with a lid (or tightly with foil), and place in the oven. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. After that time, either serve, or if you need to delay it, simply turn the oven right down to 300°F where it should be ok for another hour.