Golden Crispy Roasted Potatoes without a single drop of oil. Easy, healthy, low calorie and virtually fat-free!
It’s all about the simple things in life today. Like potatoes ❤️
I adore them. Nothing beats Crispy Roasted Potatoes. But, with all that lovely yummy crispiness comes oil and fat and grease.
Since the creation of my completely oil-free Loaded Taco Fries, I have been wanting to experiment a little more with using aquafaba as a substitute for oil when roasting.
Well I finally got around to it and these Healthy No Oil Crispy Roasted Potatoes* happened.
LOW CALORIE & VIRTUALLY FAT FREE ROAST POTATOES
I love traditionally cooked roast potatoes a lot and I am not going to lie, these don’t taste quite as good as those. After all, as unhealthy as using copious amounts of oil is, it tastes pretty good when roasted up with the humble spud. However, they are a pretty close runner up, and what you lose (just) a little bit in taste, you make up for in low calories, virtually non existent fat content and smug, feel good healthiness. ????
Plus if you are anything like me, you can put those calories you saved on the potatoes to good use when it comes to dessert. ????
And your oven will thank you muchly too! Oily things splatter EVERYWHERE and I’m sure you are all aware of how thoroughly awful cleaning ovens is. I literally have to not show mine ever in my recipe videos because I hate cleaning it and if you so much as caught a glimpse I might die of embarrassment.???? One day I might get a self cleaning oven and it will be like all my Christmases have come at once.
CRISPY ROASTED POTATOES WITH JUST 3 INGREDIENTS!
These Healthy No Oil Crispy Roasted Potatoes are super simple to make. All you need are 3 ingredients and some salt and pepper:
Semolina (or cornmeal)
Aquafaba a.k.a magic bean juice
It’s such an easy process too. Check out the video below to see exactly how, but basically you boil the potatoes for a bit, drain and allow to steam dry, Then drizzle over aquafaba and sprinkle on semolina. Shake well to rough ’em up, then roast. Flip, roast some more, then EAT! ????
The roughing up is an essential part of the process. It creates a thick slurry of aquafaba, soft potato and semolina which coats and clings and crisps up beautifully. It also makes them turn gloriously golden as all perfect roast potatoes should be!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY NO OIL CRISPY ROASTED POTATOES
*Please note that by providing oil-free recipes, I am not recommending an oil-free diet. I use oil myself in a lot of recipes, but sometimes I like to shave off a few calories if I can (because I eat too much ????) and I also like to provide recipes for those of you who are trying to reduce your consumption of added oils.
Healthy No Oil Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- 900g / 2 lbs potatoes , see notes
- 80mls / ⅓ cup aquafaba , the liquid from a can of chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons semolina , cornmeal can also be used but make sure it isn't too course. Semolina is not gluten-free so be sure to use the cornmeal option if you need to keep this recipe gluten-free
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Timings here are based on a medium potato being cut into about 5 pieces. Make sure all pieces are pretty even.
- Place the potatoes in a pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling the should take about 5 - 6 minutes to become just fork tender. As soon as they do, drain through a colander then leave for a few minutes to steam dry before returning to the pan.
- Line a baking tray or roaster with parchment paper or a Silpat. This is essential because no oil is used.
- Add the aquafaba and semolina to the potatoes, put the lid on the pan and shake vigorously a good few times to rough up the potatoes, then dig in with a spoon and stir them around a bit to get the potatoes slurry that has settled on the bottom to coat them thoroughly.
- Tip the potatoes onto the lined tray and spread them out so they are not touching each other then season with a generous amount of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place in the hot oven and cook for 25 minutes. Remove, flip them all over then return to the oven and cook for around another 20 minutes or until a lovely golden brown. The time will vary a little depending on your oven and the type of pan you are cooking them in.
- Serve immediately.