A quick & easy Vegan Stir Fry Sauce that is packed with flavour. It's rich, thick & versatile. Use in stir-fries, on rice, noodles and vegetables, or for marinating tofu and seitan.
Nothing brings a meal together better than a good sauce and this vegan stir fry sauce is so good!
I like my food to be absolutely jam-packed with flavour and big bold flavour is where it's at here. I could literally drink it from the pan it's that delicious. So savoury and rich with amazing depth.
How to make vegan stir fry sauce
For detailed measurements and instructions, see the printable recipe card.
If you are familiar with my usual sauce-making technique you will know that throwing everything in a blender is about as complicated as it gets. We've been there with my Peanut Sauce, Garlic Pineapple Sauce and my Healthy Sweet & Sour Sauce.
This one is made in the same way. Everything gets thrown in a blender then poured out and into a pan. Then you just need to warm it gently while stirring, until it thickens up like gravy. Then it's ready to use, simple as that!
This tasty sauce is really versatile and shouldn't just be reserved for stir-fries. It works brilliantly for dipping things like vegan chick'n tenders or dumplings, marinating tofu, tempeh or seitan, drizzling over vegetables or chickpeas, on rice or noodle bowls, fried rice and even on grilled food.
For an easy meal, I love to cook some rice or noodles, top with steamed or roasted vegetables, drizzle over some of this sauce and add a generous sprinkling of cashew nuts or sesame seeds, maybe some sliced green onions too. It makes a really quick, stress-free and super tasty meal.
- Add a big dollop of peanut, cashew or almond butter to the blender while blending up the sauce for a nutty twist.
- Add a small piece of fresh ginger when blending. If you don't have a high-powered blender grate it first so it blends smoothly more easily.
- Squeeze in some fresh lime juice.
Storage, freezing and reheating tips
Vegan stir fry sauce will keep for up to 7 days in the fridge and can be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating.
To reheat pour the sauce into a small pan and warm over medium-low heat until hot. You can also microwave it but be cautious as it can easily spill over if it gets too hot.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to rate it and leave a review below!
Vegan Stir Fry SauceAuthor:
- 1 small onion , cut into quarters
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 cup (240 mls) soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil , it's here for the flavour. You can omit to make this recipe oil-free
- ¼ cup (60 mls) rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80 mls) maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder , or cornstarch but arrowroot gives a glossier finish
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (210 mls) water
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour into a pan. It will be very foamy. That is normal and the foam will disappear as it warms up.
- Heat over medium-low heat stirring constantly until it is hot, thick and gravy-like in texture.
- Either use immediately or decant into a jar and store in the fridge/freezer.
Storage, freezing & reheating This stir fry sauce will keep for up to 7 days in the fridge and can be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating. To reheat pour the sauce into a small pan and warm over medium-low heat until hot. You can also microwave it but be cautious as it can easily spill over if it gets too hot.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.
This recipe was originally published on April 28th, 2017. I've since changed the name of the recipe and rewritten the post and now I am republishing it for you. The recipe itself remains the same. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for following A Virtual Vegan!