A bowl of brilliant green goodness to warm your soul! This Vegan Pea Soup with a generous handful of optional mint for good measure, is healthy, low calorie, packed with protein and super simple to make. With only 6 ingredients (plus salt & pepper) you probably already have everything you need to make it too!
Let's talk soup! Because fall is here and that means it's soup season. And because this Vegan Pea Soup is here and it's my first new recipe in ages and it's so good to be back after submitting my cookbook manuscript!
I love cozying up with a big bowl of soup, and I love it even more when it's quick and easy to make like this one.
Do you all remember my Easy Tomato Basil Soup? That one is ready in 10 minutes flat and has become one of the most popular recipes on my website. Well, this one is just as easy and almost as quick. Throughout fall and winter, I tend to make a big pot of soup once a week. We have it for dinner then eat the leftovers throughout the week for lunches or a quick warm-up dinner on another night.
In addition to the green peas which are the star of the show here, this soup is made special with a big handful of fresh mint. It adds such a lovely fresh flavour and in combination with the sweet, sweet peas it so yum. The sauteed onions and garlic add depth of flavour, and a splash of non-dairy milk adds creaminess. You could make it even creamier by using canned light coconut milk instead.
How to make vegan pea soup
This Vegan Pea Soup is really quick and easy to make. Here's how it's done:
- Step 1 - Sauté some onions and garlic
- Step 2 - Add a bag of still frozen peas and some veggie broth or water and simmer until the peas have defrosted.
- Step 3 - Add the soup to a blender, throw in the mint (don't forget it like I did in my video!) and blend until absolutely smooth.
- Step 4 - Pour back into the pan, add more broth or non-dairy milk to thin a little, and season to taste
- Step 5 - Allow to warm through then serve.
So simple, so quick. And because the mint gets aded right at the end, it's taste stays really fresh and vibrant.
How to serve
I love to serve this soup with a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and a side of crusty bread. My Easy No Knead Focaccia is amazing with it. Croutons would also make a lovely accompaniment as would a dollop of my vegan ricotta or a sprinkle of my salty vegan feta cheese.
Storage, freezing and reheating tips
Leftovers keep really well in the fridge for 5 to 6 days and can be reheated in a microwave or on the stovetop. It also freezes perfectly for up to 3 months.
I can't wait for you to embrace soup season and give it a try!
Hungry for more?
For more great vegan soup recipes check out these great options:
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Vegan Italian Sausage Pasta Soup
- Creamy Vegan Carrot Soup
- Vegan Vegetable Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Vegan Pea SoupAuthor:
- 2 teaspoons oil of choice , or water to make oil free
- 1 medium onion , chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped finely
- 1 kg / 2.2 lbs frozen green peas
- 600 mls vegetable broth
- 1 big handful fresh mint leaves , OPTIONAL. Feel free to omit them if you don't have any
- non-dairy milk or more broth , to thin, use light coconut milk or cashew milk to make it extra creamy
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Warm a soup pan over a medium heat and add the oil or water if you want to keep the recipe oil free.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 10 minutes until golden brown, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the still frozen peas and the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook until the peas have defrosted.
- Transfer to a blender , add the optional mint and blend until completely smooth, then pour back into the pan.
- Add more broth or non-dairy milk to thin to the consistency you like your soup, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- A,llow it to warm through until piping hot then serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.