Thick, luscious, creamy & sweet Date Caramel. No cooking is involved & it can be ready in minutes. It's refined sugar & gluten-free & you can customize the thickness to make it as thick & spreadable or as thin and sauce-like as you want!
Healthy caramel? Really? Who would have thought you could make caramel from dates?
Well you can.
This Date Caramel is so rich, thick and luscious and it's made from only four ingredients (plus salt). You could technically make it with just one ingredient (that would be dates), but I like to add a little extra richness to it in the form of some nut butter, coconut milk and vanilla. Salt is also kind of important. You wouldn't think it, but it makes such a difference.
HOW DO YOU MAKE DATE CARAMEL?
SEE MY VIDEO FOR A VISUAL GUIDE. FOR INGREDIENTS & FULL INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST
Making Date Caramel is incredibly easy.
Add dates plus the nut/seed butter, vanilla and salt to a food processor or high powered blender.
Blend whilst adding coconut milk gradually until you get the texture you want. It's totally customizable and you can adjust it to suit whatever you plan to do with it.
It's so simple and it tastes way better than you would imagine Date Caramel would taste.
A NOTE ON EQUIPMENT
It should be pretty easy for a high powered blender like a Blendtec. ( <<< affiliate link) or a Vitamix.
If you have a less powerful one that might struggle a bit, you can soak the dates in warm water for ten minutes first to make things easier . If you don't have a blender, a food processor does a really good job too. I have this one ( <<< affiliate link) and it gets it really smooth in a few minutes:
HOW CAN YOU USE DATE CARAMEL?
Try it in my Healthy Caramel Cookie Cups:
Or in my Vegan Caramel Eggs:
Or in any other way you would regular caramel like:
- On pancakes or waffles
- Drizzled over oatmeal
- On toast
- With ice-cream
- Use as a dip for fruit like apple slices, banana or strawberries
- Over cakes
- Swirled into brownies
- Swirled through my Dessert Chocolate Hummus - Remember Rolos? That's what it tastes like! ????
- Spread in a banana sandwich - Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
THIS IS WHY I AM LOVING THIS DATE CARAMEL:
- It's really quick and easy to make
- It's healthy
- There's no refined sugar or gluten
- It's so versatile
- The natural sweetness is perfect
- It's incredibly smooth, creamy and rich
If you aren't a fan of dates then why not give this 5 Minute Vegan Caramel Sauce a try instead? It's rich and decadent but not quite as healthy!
- 175g / 1 packed cup Medjool dates , measured after pitting (about 10 dates). *
- 2 tablespoons nut butter, sunflower seed butter or tahini **
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt , plus more to taste if you want a salted caramel effect
- around 8 tablespoons canned coconut milk , or as much/little as you need to get the thickness you want ***
- Add the dates, nut/seed butter, vanilla and salt to a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth, while gradually adding the coconut milk to get it to the thickness you want. The more you add the thinner the caramel will become.
- Scrape the caramel from the bowl and into a jar.
If you did, be a ☆ and let me know what you think by rating it and commenting below. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan ________________________________________________________
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
Be sure to check out my recipe index where you can browse and filter recipes by meal type, category and dietary preference.