Thick, luscious, creamy & sweet Date Caramel. No cooking is involved & it can be ready in minutes. It's refined sugar & gluten-free & you can customize the thickness to make it as thick & spreadable or as thin and sauce-like as you want!
Healthy caramel? Really? Who would have thought you could make caramel from dates? Well, you can.
This Date Caramel is so rich, thick and luscious and it's made from only four ingredients (plus salt). You could technically make it with just one ingredient (that would be dates), but I like to add a little extra richness to it in the form of some nut butter, coconut milk and vanilla. Salt is also kind of important. You wouldn't think it, but it makes such a difference.
How do you make date caramel?
Making Date Caramel is incredibly easy. Here's how:
Step 1 - Add dates plus the nut/seed butter, vanilla and salt to a food processor or high powered blender.
Step 2 - Blend whilst adding coconut milk gradually until you get the texture you want. It's totally customizable and you can adjust it to suit whatever you plan to do with it.
It's so simple and it tastes way better than you would imagine Date Caramel would taste. It is so good!
What equipment do I need to make this?
To make this date caramel you ideally need a high-powered blender but a good food processor should be ok too. I use my Blendtec.
If you have a less powerful blender or food processor that might struggle a bit, you can soak the dates in warm water for ten minutes prior to blending everything. That will make it much easier for your appliance and give you smooth results.
How to use date caramel
Try it in my Healthy Caramel Cookie Cups:
Or in my Vegan Caramel Eggs:
Or in any other way you would regular caramel like:
- On pancakes or waffles
- Drizzled over oatmeal
- On toast
- With ice-cream
- Use as a dip for fruit like apple slices, banana or strawberries
- Over cakes
- Swirled into brownies
- Swirled through my Dessert Chocolate Hummus - Remember Rolos? That's what it tastes like!
- Spread in a banana sandwich - Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
This caramel is:
- really quick and easy to make
- refined sugar & gluten-free
- naturally sweet
- incredibly smooth, creamy and rich
But if you aren't a fan of dates then why not give this 5 Minute Vegan Caramel Sauce a try instead? It's rich and decadent but not quite as healthy!
Subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too. Also be sure to check out my cookbook Vegan Comfort Cooking for even more recipes!
- 175g / 1 packed cup Medjool dates , measured after pitting (about 10 dates). *
- 2 tablespoons nut butter, sunflower seed butter or tahini **
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt , plus more to taste if you want a salted caramel effect
- around 8 tablespoons canned coconut milk , or as much/little as you need to get the thickness you want ***
- Add the dates, nut/seed butter, vanilla and salt to a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth, while gradually adding the coconut milk to get it to the thickness you want. The more you add the thinner the caramel will become.
- Scrape the caramel from the bowl and into a jar.
If you did, be a ☆ and let me know what you think by rating it and commenting below. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan ________________________________________________________
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.