A simple, lemony, avocado-creamy, crunchy and fresh Cucumber Avocado Salad that's really quick and easy to make!
Where are my avocado lovers at? <raises hands>
Because this salad has got all the cool 'n creamy avocado goodness going on!
We're talking double avocado. There's avo chopped up in the actual salad, and it's blended up in the Avocado Dressing.
Avocado-creaminess on point ...
Here's what's happening in this Cucumber Avocado Salad:
- cool, crunchy cucumber slices
- soft, but not too soft, chunky avocado pieces
- mildly oniony fresh chives (dill would be great too!)
- that Avocado Dressing from a few weeks ago
- and maybe a few red pepper flakes for a pop of colour and a hint of spice?
That's it! I mean it's not the world's most interesting salad, but it's simple, lemony, avocado-creamy, crunchy and fresh, and it's understated and works brilliantly as a side for summer dinners, lunches and BBQs. It's particularly good with my vegan crab cakes and my baked tofu or as a light lunch with my easy homemade pita breads or easy flatbread recipe.
How to make Cucumber Avocado Salad
SEE MY VIDEO FOR A VISUAL GUIDE. FOR INGREDIENTS & FULL INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST
So here goes ....
This is what you'll be needing for the dressing:
and this is what you need for the salad .. (that's the dressing blended up and in the jar in this pic):
It's so easy.
Just blend the dressing ingredients up until smooth.
Chop the cucumber
Chop the avocado
Chop the dill
Put them all together in a bowl
Add the dressing and toss them gently together
For the dressing you need a really ripe, soft avocado and for the actual salad, you need a ripe, but slightly firmer avocado that will withstand being chopped.
Season it well. This is a really simple salad and salt and pepper play a very important part.
Don't make it in advance. Avocados go brown once they have been cut. The copious amount of lemon juice in the dressing really help to keep everything green, but it is at it's very best when fresh.
Ways to adapt my Cucumber Avocado Salad
Some ways you can adapt this Cucumber Avocado Salad are:
- Mix in some fresh, canned or defrosted frozen corn, or even grill the corn first so it's a bit caramelized
- Use dill instead of chives or as well as
- Use lime juice in the dressing instead of lemon juice
- Sprinkle over some toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds for a bit of nutty crunch
- Stir through some chopped cilantro or parsley
For more salad recipes, check out these great options:
And if you love this recipe, please do check out my cookbook, and subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too!
Cucumber Avocado Salad
For the dressing
- 1 large avocado , it must be very ripe
- 1 - 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , for oil-free just use more water instead
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon sriracha , or other chili sauce (omit if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper , to taste
For the salad
- 1 medium English style cucumber
- 1 large avocado ripe but not too ripe. It needs to hold up to being cut up into chunks
- 1 large handful fresh chives
- 1 - 2 pinches red chili pepper flakes , (optional)
For the dressing
- Cut the really ripe avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the flesh out into a food processor or blender.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, the water, olive oil, garlic, sriracha and vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Add more lemon to taste ( I like the full 3 tablespoons in mine), and also salt and pepper to taste. Be generous with the seasoning and blend and taste between each addition.
For the salad
- Cut the cucumber into chunks. I like to cut it in half lengthways, then slice into thickish half moons, but you can cut it anyway you like as long as the pieces are bite sized.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh carefully then dice the avocado into bite sized pieces.
- Chop the chives, or cut with kitchen scissors, into small pieces.
- Put the cucumber, avocado and chives in a serving bowl, spoon on the avocado dressing and toss everything together gently. Sprinkle over some optional spicy red chili pepper flakes before serving.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.