Cherry Overnight Oats! The ultimate, delicious, nutritious, and satisfying make-ahead breakfast. No cooking required! With the classic combination of cherries and almonds, this cherry bakewell-style oats recipe is a really good way to start your day.
You can't let cherry season go by without making yourself some Cherry Overnight Oats!
We're talking that classic and very delicious cherry almond combo, and like all vegan overnight oats, this recipe is so quick, easy and convenient.
Here are the ingredients you need at a glance:
And just a couple of notes on some of the ingredients:
- Oats - Old-fashioned oats or rolled oats are best for making overnight oats. Use gluten-free oats if necessary. I don't recommend using steel cut oats.
- Cherries - You can use fresh cherries or frozen cherries for this recipe. Frozen cherries can go in as they are. No need to defrost as they will naturally do that overnight.
- Chia seeds - I like the extra nutrition these give my oats, and the way they thicken the oatmeal. If you don't have any feel free to omit them or use whole or ground flaxseed instead.
- Almond extract - Vanilla works well too but you won't get the cherry bakewell overnight oats kinda vibe!
- Non-dairy milk - Any dairy-free milk will do such as oat milk, soy milk, cashew milk, or almond milk.
Love chocolate? Add a tablespoon of dairy-free dark chocolate chips, or check out my Black Forest Overnight Oats!
How To Make Cherry Overnight Oats
No complicated instructions are necessary! Making this Cherry Overnight Oats recipe is as simple as adding everything except the cherries and almonds to a jar or other lidded container then stirring it all together.
Add the cherries to the top of the jar, sprinkle over the almonds, then top with the lid and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to a few days. The liquid in the jar will be mostly absorbed by the oats making them perfectly soft, creamy, and easy to eat with no cooking required.
The beauty of Cherry Overnight Oats is that they are ready to be eaten just as they are straight from the jar. There is no need to warm them up.
You can spoon the oatmeal out into a bowl if you prefer and add toppings like:
Making Ahead & Storage
Overnight Oats are incredible for breakfast meal prep and you can even eat them from the mason jar or container you prepare them in. They do not need cooking or warming up so are perfect for summer.
And of course, waking up to breakfast all ready and waiting for you, is always a good thing, especially when it's healthy, super tasty, and easily transportable.
Make up a batch at the weekend and they'll keep in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days dependent on how fresh your cherries were.
Cherry Overnight OatsAuthor:
- ½ cup (50 grams) rolled/old-fashioned oats , certified gluten-free if necessary
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup , or sugar
- ¾ cup (180 mls) plant milk
- ½ cup (110 grams) pitted cherries , fresh or frozen (no need to defrost)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons flaked almonds , omit for nut-free
- To a jar or other lidded container add the oats, chia seeds, almond extract, maple syrup, and milk. Stir to combine.
- Half the cherries and add to the jars, then sprinkle the flaked almonds on top.
- Put the lid on and refrigerate overnight (or for a minimum of 4 hours).
- Enjoy straight from the jar or spoon into a bowl.