Black Forest Overnight Oats! The ultimate, decadent but nutritious and satisfying breakfast that needs no cooking at all and can be made ahead. With the classic combination of chocolate and cherries, this my friends is seriously yum!
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if it means waking up to these Black Forest Overnight Oats, then I most definitely agree.
We're talking that famous black forest cake in overnight oats form. With lightly sweetened chocolate oats, piles of cherries and a decadent vegan cream or yogurt topping, they are seriously delish!
These chocolate cherry overnight oats can be made in minutes and unlike regular oatmeal recipes like my Coconut Milk Oatmeal, they need no cooking. Make up a batch, pop them in the fridge overnight, and they magically become soft, creamy and delicious. Then top with cream or yogurt and enjoy!
Ingredient notes & substitutions
Here are the ingredients you will be needing to make Black Forest Overnight Oats:
And just a couple of notes on some of the ingredients:
- Oats - Old-fashioned oats or rolled oats are best for making overnight oats. Use gluten-free oats if necessary.
- Cherries - You can use fresh cherries or frozen cherries for this recipe. Frozen cherries can go in as they are. No need to defrost as they will naturally do that overnight.
- Vanilla - Almond extract works great here too but you will need just a tiny drop because it is stronger.
- Vegan Cream/yogurt - You can use either. If I have a can of squirty coconut cream I use that, sometimes I use whipped coconut cream, and sometimes I use vegan yogurt. You can even omit the cream topping if you prefer.
- Chocolate chips - For a healthier option you can use cacao nibs instead or omit. Love chocolatey oats? Be sure to try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats!
How to make Black Forest Overnight Oats
The beauty of overnight oats is definitely the "throw it all in a jar and you're done" thing and these Black Forest Overnight Oats are no exception. They are so incredibly easy to put together.
- Add everything but the cherries and cream to a jar or lidded container and stir or shake together really well.
- Top with a layer of cherries, put the lid on the container and put in the refrigerator for anything from 6 hours to 3 days.
- The next day remove from the refrigerator, give a quick stir, then top with the vegan cream or yogurt before digging in. A drizzle of chocolate sauce is an optional addition that takes them right over the top!
Making ahead & storing
Make up just one or a batch and pop them in the fridge where they will keep for up to 3 days. This is the easiest meal prep! Overnight oats without fruit in them like my coffee overnight oats will keep for 5 days in the fridge. So convenient!
The beauty of overnight oats is that they are ready to grab and go straight from the fridge. You can eat them from the jar or spoon them out into a bowl. They are really great to grab and go on those mornings when you don't have any time to eat at home.
These really don't need any accompaniments although if you have some (or are up for making it) I highly recommend a drizzle of melted chocolate to take your Black Forest Oats RIGHT over the top!
I like to eat my overnight oats cold and straight from the jar, but you can warm them up if you prefer. Heat either in a small pan on the stove or in a microwave for a short time until warmed through. Do this before adding the cream/yogurt.
Yes but reduce the milk by 2 to 3 tablespoons if you do.
For this recipe you will need a jar that will hold at least 16 oz (473 ml).
Hungry for more?
For more overnight oat recipes, check out these great options:
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Black Forest Overnight OatsAuthor:
For the oatmeal
- ½ cup (50 grams) rolled/old fashioned oats , use gluten free oats if necessary.
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 to 2 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk of choice
- ½ cup (110 grams) fresh or frozen cherries , pitted
For the cream layer (optional but recommended)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) vegan cream or yogurt
- To a jar or other lidded container add the oats, cocoa powder, chia seeds, chocolate chips, vanilla, maple syrup and milk to a jar. Stir well or put the lid on and give it a good shake.
- Top with the cherries (don't stir them in), put the lid on and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours or up to 3 days.
- Before serving give it a quick stir and top with vegan cream or yogurt, maybe a few more cherry halves or a drizzle of melted chocolate, then enjoy.
This recipe was originally published on June 17th 2016. I've updated the post and now I am republishing it for you. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for following A Virtual Vegan!
This was absolutely delicious! I made it exactly as listed and my husband request the coconut cream and chocolate sauce and WOW! YUMMY! Thanks for posting we will be enjoying this again!
A Virtual Vegan says
That's awesome! I am so glad you both enjoyed it. What a breakfast treat it is! Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and leave feedback. I appreciate it!
Fantastic. Seriously the best breakfast I've ver eaten!
A Virtual Vegan says
Thank you Amy :)