Who wouldn’t want to wake up to these Black Forest Overnight Oats? Seriously the best oatmeal I have ever tasted. Just like a Black Forest Gateau but in a healthier breakfast form. Any other breakfast will be a disappointment after this jar of utter gorgeousness……
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if it means waking up to these Black Forest Overnight Oats, then I most definitely agree.
Oatmeal is one of my favourite foods and I am always looking for new ways to switch it up. This is especially the case in the Summer when it is sometimes too warm to be eating a bowl of steaming hot oatmeal.
The last oatmeal recipe I published was my Strawberry Baked Oatmeal. This has been so popular with you guys and is great as it can be eaten hot or cold. Overnight oats are good when eaten cold too, and they are also so convenient. Make up two or three jars at a time, leave in the fridge, and you have a few days worth of quick, easy breakfasts ready and waiting for you. They are also super transportable when made in mason jars so are great to grab on those mornings when you don’t have any time to eat at home.
I suck at finding the time to make packed lunches so often take a jar of overnight oats to work with me for my lunch.
The inspiration for this recipe came from the beautiful bounty of cherries that seem to be everywhere at the moment. I love them so much and have been eating way more than my fair share. They are one of my favourite fruits and other than my Cherry Almond Granola Bars which use dried cherries, I don’t have any other recipes featuring them. If you can’t get hold of any fresh cherries or they are out of season, feel free to use defrosted frozen cherries or canned cherries.
Chocolate is the perfect accompaniment to cherries, and as it is another of my all time favourite foods It seemed only right that I should combine the two. When I think of chocolate and cherries, Black Forest Gateau immediately comes to mind and that is how I got the idea for these Black Forest Overnight Oats.
I threw my first batch together in minutes and put them in the fridge. When I woke up the next day, I couldn’t wait to jump out of bed and inspect/eat my overnight oats. They turned out fantastically well and if you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you will have seen the pictures I posted there in my excitement.
Guys these Black Forest Overnight Oats are the bomb. They taste just like a Black Forest Gateau. I cannot wait for you to try them! In fact, I had three or four recipes all planned to go out over the next few weeks, but these overnight oats got put right to the top of the list. I have been so excited about sharing them with you.
They are so incredibly easy to put together. Just stir the oatmeal ingredients together, top with pitted cherries then go off to bed and dream nice things while your oatmeal thickens up and soaks up all the flavour. All you have to do before serving is top it with some coconut whipped cream and a little chocolate sauce. Both of these extras are entirely optional but I highly recommend you make it this way at least once. The richness of the coconut cream with the oatmeal is just something else. It is literally the best oatmeal I have ever eaten!
As incredibly delicious as this oatmeal is, some of you might find the thought of it a little too rich and indulgent. If this is the case then omit the coconut cream and the chocolate sauce and just top with some extra cherries.
For more oatmeal recipes, check out these great options:
- Chunky Monkey overnight Oats
- Healthy Chocolate Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Ginger Chocolate Overnight Oats
And if you love this recipe, please do checkout my cookbook, and subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too!
Black Forest Overnight Oats
For the oatmeal
- 55g | ½ cup rolled oats Be sure to buy gluten free oats if necessary.
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (I use Camino chocolate chips as they are organic, fair-trade & vegan but there are other vegan varieties widely available such as Enjoy Life).
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 185mls | ¾ cup non-dairy milk
- 110g | 1/2 cup halved cherries (stones removed - can use frozen and defrosted cherries)
For the chocolate sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon non-dairy milk
For the whipped coconut cream (optional but recommended)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk chilled for at least 24 hours , chilled for at least 24 hours
- Add all of the oatmeal ingredients except the cherries to a lidded jar or other sealable container ( I use a 16oz wide mouth mason jar ).
- Stir really well to combine everything or put the lid on and shake.
- Top the oatmeal with the cherries, put the lid on and place in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
For the coconut cream
- Before serving whip the coconut cream.
- Chill a can of full fat coconut milk for at least 24 hours.
- Open the can and scrape the hard part into a bowl. Keep the liquidy part for a smoothie or to add to a curry.
- (For more detailed instructions and pictures of the process see this guide from Oh She Glows - There is no need to add sweetener or vanilla for this oatmeal recipe unless you have a really sweet tooth)
For the chocolate sauce
- Add the chocolate chips to a small bowl or pan with the milk and heat very gently until melted. I used a microwave and it literally took about 10 seconds. Stir together well until smooth.
- Remove the oatmeal from the fridge, spoon on some whipped coconut cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Top with a cherry or two!
Estimated nutrition per serving: