Spicy Slow Cooker Black Beans. Hearty comfort food at it’s best! Plus they are incredibly budget friendly. Cook on the stove top or in a slow cooker for a really easy & tasty meal.
This Slow Cooker Black Beans recipe is one that’s been on AVV since the very beginning and it needed a much needed facelift. Everything about my photography and writing style has changed since then, so it’s out with the old and in with the new today. I have totally deleted my original text, and replaced the photos. Hopefully now it will get a new lease of life because it deserves to. These beans are super yummy!
HOW TO USE SLOW COOKER BLACK BEANS
Dried beans are a staple in my kitchen. I make my Vegan Baked Beans and this Slow Cooker Black Beans recipe all the time. Both simple, budget friendly and easy to make meals. The Baked Beans are a family favourite with baked potatoes and these black beans are perfect for a simple dinner served with rice or another grain or even with some crusty bread. Try topping them with some fresh cilantro or mint, and some chopped raw bell pepper, tomatoes or green onion. A big dollop of my Green Sauce is amazing with them too. These extras add a pop of colour and some extra texture to make a really well rounded meal.
Slow Cooker Black Beans reheat really well and can be repurposed in all kinds of ways.
- Vegan Meal Prep with Black Beans & Rice
- Buddha bowls
- making refried beans
They can even be diluted with a flavoursome broth and turned into soup!
PERFECT FOR BATCH COOKING
I typically cook massive batches of these Spicy Slow Cooker Black Beans because they are so versatile and having them on hand makes all of the meals above so much easier and faster. It’s so easy to change up the flavours too. They can totally be transformed by throwing in some sweet potato, a jar of salsa, some fresh chopped tomatoes or bell pepper or simply by using different herbs and spices.
Feel free to double or triple the recipe then portion them up ready for a quick dinner at a later date. My freezer is always brimming with little pots of these all over the place!
Black beans are such a great ingredient. They are so nutritious and filling plus they are incredibly budget friendly, especially if you buy dried ones. Cooking them in a slow cooker makes the whole process so easy but if you don’t have one make them on the stove-top instead. I have included directions for both methods.
If you do want to invest in a slow cooker, this is the one I had, until someone (who shall remain nameless), dropped the ceramic pot and put a great big crack in it. I replaced it with an Instant Pot which is a pressure cooker and a slow cooker in one. Although I loved my slow cooker, I love my Instant Pot more so watch out for an Instant Pot version of this recipe coming soon.
I hope this Spicy Slow Cooker Black Beans Recipe becomes as much of a staple in your kitchen as it is ours and helps make your dinner times easier. Let me know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. You can share your pics on Instagram too using the #avirtualvegan hashtag so I don’t miss them!
Slow Cooker Black Beans
- 450g | 2½ cups dried black beans (no need to soak before using) (or 6 cups canned beans),
- 1 medium onion , chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes , or 1 fresh chili (you can omit the chili if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried mint (optional)
- 840mls | 3½ cups vegetable stock
- Juice of one lime
- Place all ingredients except the lime into a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7 - 8 hours.
- Just before serving squeeze in the juice of one lime and stir well.
COOKING ON THE STOVE-TOP
- Use cooked/canned beans.
- Soften your onions in a little oil or a couple tablespoons of water then add the spices and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (only using half the amount of stock) and simmer for around 30 minutes.
- Just before serving squeeze in the juice of one lime and store well.
Estimated nutrition per serving: