Find your bliss with The Classic Power Bowl from Blissful Basil. A delightful combination of spicy cauliflower rice, warming & crisp sweet potatoes & creamy, garlicky avocado mash. Enter my giveaway to win a copy of the book too!
With the start of a new year comes a surge in people trying to make better choices and eat a little more healthily. Veganuary begins, and a whole new batch of people start their first, and hopefully not their last, vegan January. Plant-based eating is a wonderful way to find your bliss. I have never been happier since I made the transition and honour my bliss by nourishing my body and soul with wholesome plant-based foods and by sharing my recipes with you. This in turn enables you to honour your bliss through the joy of wonderful, healthy plant-based eating which only adds to my happiness. ♡
Plant-based eating has never been so delicious and there are a myriad of wonderful blogs to follow and cook books to invest in. One blog that I have followed for a long time now is Ashley Melillo’s Blissful Basil. When I got the chance to review her new book of the same name, and take part in the blog tour, I dove in head first…..quite literally, and I have had problems extricating myself ever since!
If that cover shot doesn’t want to make you want to literally
drink eat in the contents of the book what would? It looks amazing and is totally representative of what you will find inside.
Honour Your Bliss
Blissful Basil is quite literally packed with the most delicious, healthy recipes. If any book is going to motivate you to honour your bliss then it is this one. It is incredible and by far the best cook book I have cooked from in a while. I had such a hard time deciding what recipe I was going to feature here today!
Blissful Basil by Ashely Melillo
Blissful Basil is visually appealing. It is clean, crisp and features beautiful, colourful images. I loved getting to know Ashley in the introduction and learning about her journey to plant-based eating. She takes a very candid and personal approach which I admire.
The book is broken down into the following chapters:
- Introduction | Rooted Habits
- A Blissful Kitchen | Pantry Roots + Essential Equipment
- Breakfast + Brunch
- Smoothies + Juices
- Snacks + Appetizers
- Soups + Salads
- Power Bowls
- Sandwiches, Tacos + Pizza
- Pasta + Noodles
- Veggie-Centric Mains
- Sophisticated Sweets + Simple Treats
- Homemade Staples
There are over 100 plant-powered recipes “to unearth vibrancy, health and happiness” and it is a valuable resource for anyone interested in whole-foods, plant-based cooking.
So far I have made and devoured:
- Garlic, Mushroom Tacos with Quick Pickled Jalapeños + Chipotle-Tomato Crema
- Superseeded Pesto Pizza with Rainbow Veggies, Mozzarella + Sweet Potato Crust (shown in the book cover photo)
- Enlivening Lemon Bars
- Classic Power Bowl: Spicy Cauliflower Rice, Roasted Sweet Potatoes + Avocado Mash (featured here today).
And on my ‘must make soon’ list are:
- Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Oatmeal Bake with Chai-Spiced Date Caramel
- Electric Turmeric-Lemonde Smoothie
- Crispy Cauliflower Tots withSpeedy Two Minute Ketchuo
- Kale Artichoke + Leek Mac ‘N’ Cheese with Herbed Oat Cumbs
The Classic Power Bowl : Spicy Cauliflower Rice, Roasted Sweet Potatoes + Avocado Mash
The Classic power Bowl : Spicy Cauliflower Rice, Roasted Sweet Potatoes + Avocado Mash, which I am sharing with you today is simple, nutritious and amazingly flavourful. I threw it together after a day at work in less than 45 minutes. It is full of good for you ingredients and it’s in a bowl. I ♡ food in bowls! It automatically makes a meal cozier and more satisfying, don’t you think?
I actually nearly dismissed this recipe because I wasn’t sure it showcased the book well enough. Ashley herself says in the description that she thought the bowl “was a bit random to appeal to the masses” and describes it as “a loveable hodgepodge of flavours, textures and colours”. As soon as I made it (and tasted it) though, I changed my mind about including it here.
It’s simplicity is admirable and the flavours that pull it all together are just divine. The cauliflower rice is gently warming and spicy and the cinnamon-paprika potatoes are crispy, sweet and comforting. The creamy, garlicky avocado mash pulls it all together, adds a bit of moisture and a pop of glorious green colour. It’s a hug in a bowl and I was very reluctant to share it with my husband. 😉
I think of it as the dark horse of the book. It kind of crept up on me out of nowhere and reeled me in and now I’m hooked. I’ve made it twice in the last week and am actively looking for an excuse to make it again soon….Get me some sweet potatoes and a cauliflower stat!
Enter to win your own copy of Blissful Basil
As well as allowing me to share this wonderful recipe from Blissful Basil, Ashley and her publisher BenBella Vegan are kindly letting me give away a copy of the book to one lucky reader. Just scroll down to enter to win and in the meantime make this Classic Power Bowl. It truly is ‘blissful’ ♡
Find your bliss with The Classic Power Bowl from Blissful Basil. A delightful combination of spicy cauliflower rice, warming & crisp sweet potatoes & creamy, garlicky avocado mash.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil or other heat-tolerant oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- fine-grain sea salt
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 5 scallions, trimmed and thinly slices
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes quartered
- 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari*
- 1-2 tablespoons chile-garlic pasta or Sriracha
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the lined baking tray, drizzle with the oil, and sprinkle with the cinnamon, paprika and sea salt to taste. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until fork-tender, flipping at the 15-minute mark.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl of a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Pulse to finely chop into pieces roughly the size of rice grains.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the riced cauliflower, scallions, and tomatoes and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the cauliflower softens, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, tamari, and chile-garlic paste. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until the "rice" develops a slight golden colour and the liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the chives and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, use the back of a fork to mash together the avocado, lime juice, garlic, and sea salt to taste.
- Spoon the sweet potatoes and cauliflower into bowls, snuggling them alongside one another, Top with a generous dollop of the avocado mash.
Refrigerate the leftover cauliflower rice and sweet potatoes in separate airtight containers for up to 3 days. The avocado mash is best when fresh.
No soy? No problem | To keep this dish soy-free, swap out the reduced-soaium tamari for coconut aminos.
Reprinted from Blissful Basil by arrangement with BenBella Books. Copyright © 2016, Ashley Melillo.