Cozy Slow Cooker Spicy Lentil Soup! An easy, veggie-packed, set-and-forget recipe that's packed with flavor, budget-friendly, filling, and healthy. Perfect for fall/winter nights!
Soup season is definitely the best season, and this super cozy Slow Cooker Spicy Lentil Soup is perfect for warming you up on chilly evenings.
It's a great meal for when you are pushed for time in the evenings. Throw it all in before you leave in the morning, let the slow cooker do the work, and a delicious soup will be ready and waiting for you at the end of a long day at work.
This soup is loaded with healthy, wholesome ingredients:
- Veggies - Onions, carrots, celery, bell peppers, and garlic. Our flavorbase. A great soup is all about building lots of layers of flavor and these provide the very first layer.
- Chili peppers - Banana, poblano, or Anaheim peppers all work well. They are all mild chili peppers and provide really gentle heat and gorgeous earthy, fruity, smoky flavor. Really not a fan of chili? You could use some green bell peppers instead.
- Potatoes - White potatoes or sweet potatoes work well. I like to use a mix of both for extra flavor and texture.
- Lentils - A mix of green lentils (or brown) and red lentils. The red lentils more or less dissolve and work to thicken the soup whilst the green/brown ones stay whole and give texture. If you sub the green for all red your soup will end up thicker and if you sub all green for the red it will be thinner. It won't affect the flavor too much though so if you are ok with this use any combo you like.
- Tomatoes - Canned or fresh. You can even use crushed tomatoes.
- Veg stock & water - A mix of both. There is loads of flavor from all of the veggies so we don't need all of the liquid going in to be veg stock. Might as well save some pennies where we can!
It's a really versatile recipe so feel free to use up any fresh herbs or veggies that you have lurking in the fridge. Additions that work really well include diced swede, zucchini, green cabbage, kale (added in the last hour), spinach (added in the last 10 minutes), oregano, or thyme.
How To Make Spicy Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
Can't wait to make Spicy Lentil Soup in your slow cooker? The full printable recipe is below, but first, let me walk you through each step
- Peel and chop the veggies.
- Open a can of tomatoes and a carton of veggie broth.
- Throw it all in the slow cooker.
- Add some seasoning and water.
- Turn on the slow cooker and cook for 5 to 8 hours.
The red lentils melt and thicken the soup beautifully, and the potatoes become soft and melting. It's great as it is but if you prefer a thicker, stewier-style soup, then give it a few blitzes with an immersion blender, or scoop out a couple of cups and blend them in a blender before returning to the slow cooker.
Prepping The Veggies Ahead
There's quite a bit of chopping involved, but no sautéing anything (unless you want to) and you don't need to pre-cook the lentils. This means it's great for prepping ahead. Peel and chop the veggies and pop them in a container in the fridge. The potatoes will need to be kept in a pot of water so they don't brown. In the morning you can just throw everything into the slow cooker, add the lentils, seasonings and liquid, then turn the slow cooker on as you head out the door.
This Cozy Slow Cooker Spicy Lentil Soup is amazing with some big chunks of fresh crusty bread, a drizzle of good olive oil, and a sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese.
It's also great spooned into a deep bowl over a fluffy pile of rice. Perfect for using up leftover cooked rice or for stretching it to feed even more mouths.
This crockpot lentil soup recipe makes a great big pot and it reheats beautifully. Perfect for leftovers! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
Lentil Soup Recipe FAQs
This soup can be cooked in a large soup pan on the stovetop. Saute the onions in a little oil until golden brown. Add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Add all of the other ingredients, cover with a lid, & simmer until just starting to bubble. Turn down to low and cook for around 2 hours, or until the vegetables are really tender. Be sure to stir occasionally while it is cooking. Prefer it a little thicker? Blitz a few times with an immersion blender before serving.
Yes! Saute the veggies, then add the stock and really scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any cooked-on bits. Add everything else, cover and seal the Instant Pot, then set to cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes of high pressure, allow the cooker to release pressure naturally. Prefer it a little thicker? Blitz a few times with an immersion blender before serving.
More Soup Recipes
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Slow Cooker Spicy Lentil SoupAuthor:
- 4 medium potatoes , diced (white or sweet or a mix of both)
- 2 large carrots , cut into generous chunks
- 2 ribs celery , sliced thinly
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 medium bell pepper , diced
- 2 poblano, Anaheim, or banana peppers
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 cup (240 mls) canned diced tomatoes , or 1 cup of diced fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup (100 grams) green or brown lentils , dry
- ½ cup (100 grams) red lentils , dry
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups (960 mls) vegetable stock
- 4 cups (960 mls) water
- 1 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper , plus more to taste
- Place all ingredients into a 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours.
- When nearly ready to serve check seasoning & scoop out the bay leaf.
- If you would like to thicken it a little blitz it a couple of times with an immersion blender, or scoop out 2 to 3 cups and blend in a regular blender, then return to the slow cooker.