My Instant Pot Vegan Seasoned Black Beans recipe makes a simple, tasty, healthy & budget friendly dinner. It’s also perfect for batch cooking as the beans are great used as a base for other meals!
Ever wondered how to make black beans in an Instant Pot? Well I’m here to show you how with this really easy and flavourful Seasoned Black Beans recipe.
This recipe is basically my Slow Cooker Black Beans which have been around on AVV since the beginning, but I have adapted the recipe to work well in an Instant Pot <<<affiliate link 🙂. So, if you don’t have an Instant Pot, hop on over there and you will find both slow cooker and stove-top instructions.
Before I had my Instant Pot, I bought all of my beans in cans because I was never organized enough to cook them from scratch. I had good intentions and kept dried beans in the pantry, but then always decided what we were eating too late in the day to soak and cook them.
With my Instant Pot I don’t soak the beans at all, and they are ready from scratch in less than an hour. That means I can cook and use them in recipes at short notice.
WHAT IS AN INSTANT POT?
Instant Pots are smart, programmable electric pressure cookers which were invented and designed in Canada. They speed up cooking 2 to 6 times while using up to 70% less energy than other cooking methods. They are also able to function as slow cookers and you can sauté in them.
I use mine literally every single day for everything from cooking my Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats, making soup, stew and curry, cooking dried beans and grains and for steaming veggies or puddings like my Vegan Christmas Pudding.
This is the Instant Pot Duo 6 Quart 9-in-1 model:
It’s the newer version of mine and I think just perfect for a medium sized family. There are 3 of us and it easily makes enough for 2 dinners plus leftovers.
I have lots and lots of Instant Pot vegan recipes in my head that I want to test, so if you do decide to splash out on one you will have a plentiful supply of yummy things to cook in the coming months!
HOW TO COOK BLACK BEANS IN YOUR INSTANT POT
It really is so simple to make perfectly seasoned black beans in your Instant Pot. All you have to do is:
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic and add them to the stainless steel pot
- Add the dried beans and seasoning
- Pour over the veggie broth
- Set the Instant Pot to 25 minutes on Manual/Pressure Cook and leave it to do it’s stuff.
- Squeeze a little lime juice into the beans just before serving (an optional but recommended step!)
So quick and easy!
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH BLACK BEANS?
These Instant Pot Vegan Seasoned Black Beans are perfect served as they are with some rice. I like to top it all with some diced bell pepper, tomato or green onions for added texture and colour. They are also awesome in a bowl with guacamole and tortilla chips for scooping/dipping 😋.
Leftover cooked beans can be used in tacos, nachos, burritos, buddha bowls, salads, wraps. You can even add more broth and blend them up into a soup.
So versatile and absolutely perfect for batch cooking. They also reheat and freeze perfectly.
I just love recipes that can be recycled into loads of other things!
THIS IS WHY I AM LOVING THESE INSTANT POT VEGAN SEASONED BLACK BEANS:
- The recipe is quick & easy
- Just set the Instant Pot and forget – It’s completely hands-off
- It’s incredibly budget friendly
- Black beans are super healthy
- It’s oil-free and really low in calories
- It’s perfect for batch cooking
- The beans reheat really well
- It’s freezer friendly
- The beans can be repurposed into lots of other meals/recipes
- You can switch up the seasonings with whatever you have in your pantry
MORE INSTANT POT VEGAN RECIPES
I have a new category in my recipe index dedicated to Instant Pot Vegan Recipes. I will be adding to it regularly. You can find it here if you want to check it out.
Instant Pot Vegan Seasoned Black Beans
My Instant Pot Vegan Seasoned Black Beans recipe makes a simple, tasty, healthy & budget friendly dinner. It's also perfect for batch cooking as the beans are great used as a base for other meals!
- 450g / 2½ cups dried black beans , no need to soak before using
- 1 medium onion , chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes , or 1 fresh chili, (you can omit the chili if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried mint , optional but recommended if you have it
- 1 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste at the end if necessary
- 720 mls / 3 cups flavourful broth/stock
- 1 lime , juice only
Add all ingredients except the lime to the Instant Pot and stir.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent.
Cook on high pressure MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK in newer models, for 25 minutes for tender, soft beans, (or 30 minutes of you prefer really soft slightly mushy beans) and leave the pressure to release naturally before opening the lid.
Please note that the beans continue to cook during the natural pressure release so if you skip this step and vent manually your beans will turn out much firmer.
Serve immediately or leave on keep warm until you are ready.
Squeeze the juice of the lime into the beans and give them a quick stir before serving.
If you don't have an Instant Pot you can still make this recipe. See my Slow Cooker Black Beans recipe which is the same and includes directions for stove-top cooking.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you did, be a ☆ and let me know what you think by rating it and commenting below. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan
Nutritional information is calculated on 1 serving being ⅙ of the total recipe