My Instant Pot Black Beans recipe makes a simple, tasty, healthy & budget-friendly dinner. They are really quick and easy to make with no soaking involved. They are great to have on hand for simple dinners and meal prep!
Ever wondered how to make really tasty black beans in an Instant Pot? Well, I'm here to show you how with this really easy and flavourful Instant Pot Black Beans recipe.
This recipe is an adapted version of my Slow Cooker Black Beans so if you don't have an Instant Pot hop on over to that recipe instead.
Here' why I am loving these black beans:
- The recipe is quick & easy
- No soaking required!
- Just set the Instant Pot and forget - It's completely hands-off
- It's incredibly budget-friendly
- Black beans are super healthy
- It's oil-free and really low in calories
- It's perfect for batch cooking
- The beans reheat really well
- It's freezer friendly
- The beans can be repurposed into lots of other meals/recipes
- You can switch up the seasonings with whatever you have in your pantry
How to cook black beans in an Instant Pot
It really is so simple to make perfect black beans in your Instant Pot and there's no need to soak your beans before you start! This is no soak recipe.
Here's how it's done:
Step 1 - Add all of the ingredients except the lime to the Instant Pot and give them a stir.
Step 2 - Set the Instant Pot to 25 minutes on Manual/Pressure Cook and leave it to do its stuff.
Step 3 - Cut the lime in half and squeeze it over the beans just before serving.
They really are so quick, easy and super tasty!
What can I make with black beans?
Try serving these delicious Instant Pot Black Beans quite simply with some rice and some of my Green Sauce. The combination is incredible. I like to top it all with some diced bell pepper, tomato or green onions for added texture and colour like in my picture. They are also awesome in a bowl with guacamole and tortilla chips for scooping/dipping.
Leftover cooked beans can be used in:
- Vegan Meal Prep with Black Beans & Rice
- buddha bowls
- add to tofu scramble or vegan scrambled eggs
- top avocado toast
- you can even add more broth and blend them up into a soup
I just love simple recipes like this that can be recycled into loads of other things!
Storage, freezing & reheating tips
Instant Pot Black Beans are really versatile and absolutely perfect for batch cooking because they reheat and freeze perfectly. I often make double or triple and freeze them for another day.
Store cooled leftover black beans in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze allow the beans to cool completely then spoon into an airtight freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before using.
To reheat, place the beans in a pan on the stovetop and heat over medium-low heat until piping hot. They can also be microwaved.
As per this recipe, for 450 grams / 1lb of black beans you need 3 cups (720 mls) of liquid. I like to use stock rather than water for more flavour. This will produce perfectly cooked black beans and most of the liquid will be absorbed, with a little leftover to keep them nice and moist. It means the flavours aren't diluted and you don't have to do any draining.
You don't have to soak the black beans before cooking them. This makes it super convenient! They cook fast straight from dried and have so much more flavour when they aren't soaked first.
Hungry For More?
For more Vegan Instant Pot recipes, check out these great options:
- Vegan Instant Pot Portobello Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Dal
- Teriyaki Instant Pot Rice
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Healthy Chocolate Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Vegan Instant Pot Potato Curry
If you tried this recipe, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Instant Pot Black BeansAuthor:
- 450g / 2½ cups dried black beans , no need to soak before using
- 1 medium onion , chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes , or 1 fresh chili, (you can omit the chili if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried mint , optional but recommended if you have it
- 720 mls / 3 cups flavourful broth/stock
- 1 lime , juice only
- up to 1 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste if required
- Add all ingredients except the lime to the Instant Pot and stir.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent.
- Cook on high pressure MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK in newer models, for 25 minutes for tender, soft beans, (or 30 minutes of you prefer really soft slightly mushy beans) and leave the pressure to release naturally before opening the lid. Please note that the beans continue to cook during the natural pressure release so if you skip this step and vent manually your beans will turn out much firmer.
- Add salt to taste then squeeze the juice of the lime into the beans and give them a quick stir before serving.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.