Take the humble potato to a whole new level with these extra crispy Dilly Smashed Baby Potatoes. Roasted, smashed, then roasted some more, their golden nubbliness is just irresistible. Serve them dripping in my mild & creamy horseradish sauce. Potato perfection…..
Baby potatoes are good no matter how you serve them, but when you roast them they become so irresistibly sweet and tender. Smash them and roast them again and their golden, crispy nubbliness just goes off the scale. Once cooked to perfection, give these gorgeous little potatoes a pot of mild and creamy horseradish sauce to take a dip in and you have a pile of very happy potatoes and even happier people. They are just so utterly delicious.
Everyone in this house knows that nothing gets eaten until it has been photographed. It’s a bit of a running joke. Well the joke was on them while I photographed these babies. It was pure torture for them. There was an awful lot of swiping away of naughty little spud stealing hands and when I was finished….well, they were like vultures.
These gorgeous little Dilly Smashed Baby Potatoes are really easy to make and are a perfect side, snack, appetizer, pot luck or party dish. They are wonderful hot, but also great cold. They can be made in advance and warmed through in the oven when needed so are perfect for serving when you have guests and want to get most of the work out of the way before they arrive.
The Creamy Horseradish Dipping Sauce makes a wonderful accompaniment to these potatoes and takes no effort at all. The horseradish is very diluted so you don’t get that intense, sinus burning flavour that you might have experienced when you’ve tried horseradish before. There is just a lovely hint of it and it compliments the potatoes so well. Of course, if you want a stronger horseradish flavour then by all means add more and make it as pungent as you want!
If you enjoy this recipe please let me know in the comments below, on my Facebook page, or by tagging me on Twitter or Instagram. I am @avirtualvegan. I love to hear what you think!
Dilly Smashed Baby Potatoes With Creamy Horseradish Dipping Sauce
For the potatoes
- 560g | 3 cups of baby potatoes (the smallest ones possible as they tend to be the sweetest). Do not peel.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill (fresh can be used instead if you have some)
- salt & pepper
For the sauce
- 75g | 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 120mls | 1/2 cup of neutral tasting non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 - 2 heaping tablespoon of vegan horseradish sauce
For the potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Put your potatoes into a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cook for 2-3 minutes then turn off and drain.
- Return to the pan and leave uncovered to steam dry.
- Pour over the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Pour out onto a tray, sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and the dill.
- Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until cooked through and starting to brown a little. My potatoes were very small baby ones. If you are using bigger ones then you may need to cook them for a little longer.
- Remove from the oven and use a potato masher to press down on the top of each potato until it is squashed.
- Return to the oven for another 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
For the sauce
- Cover your cashew nuts in boiling water for about 20 minutes.
- Drain and add to a food processor or blender.
- Add half a cup of milk, the salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of the horseradish sauce.
- Blend until smooth.
- Check the consistency. I liked my sauce quite thick but if you want yours looser just add a little more milk.
- Now check the taste. If the horseradish flavour isn't pronounced enough add a little more horseradish sauce. Blend then taste again until you've got it just right for your taste.
- You can serve the potatoes with a jar or bowl of the sauce on the side for dipping or you can drizzle then in the sauce. The choice is yours!