Soft & fluffy Vegan Pumpkin Donuts, baked to perfection and then rolled in copious amounts of sugar. So easy to make & no mixer required!
Dust off your donut pan and give these delicious Vegan Pumpkin Donuts a spin!
Soft, super fluffy, and full of pumpkin flavor with a very subtle hint of orange, they are incredibly delicious and just like my other vegan pumpkin recipes, make an amazing fall treat!
In this Vegan Pumpkin Spice Donuts post:
Here are the ingredients you need to make Vegan Pumpkin Donuts:
And a few ingredient notes:
- Flour - You can use all purpose flour, spelt flour or whole wheat flour in this recipe. I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure a good gluten-free all purpose that contains xanthan gum would work well too.
- Nut butter or oil - Either works really well. I tend to use nut butter for the extra flavour it gives the donuts. You could use seed butter too.
- Orange zest - This is optional but recommended. Orange and pumpkin work so well together and the hint of citrus cuts through the sweetness really nicely.
- Pumpkin puree - Canned pumpkin or homemade pumpkin puree. Don't use pumpkin pie filling. Got some elftover after making these donuts? Give my vegan pumpkin pasta a try!
- Plant milk - Any plant milk such as oat milk, soy milk, almond milk or cashew milk.
- Pumpkin pie spice - See the FAQs for how to make your own pumpkin spice blend if you can't find it locally.
- Melted vegan butter - This is what makes the sugar coat the donuts really well after they are baked and it gives the donuts a delicious buttery, "fried" flavour.
Success Tip - I highly recommend USA Pan Donut Pans. I've had issues with donuts sticking in other pans I've used more than a few times. This is the only one I've had that's lasted well and always gives great results.
How To Make Pumpkin Donuts
These donuts come together really quickly and easily. Here's how it's done:
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in another bowl then pour them into the dry mixture.
- Stir to combine then fill a greased donut pan with the donut batter.
- Bake, brush with melted vegan butter then dip in sugar.
Make your own pumpkin spice blend to keep in the pantry. Simply combine 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 2 teaspoon ground ginger. Seal in a jar or container and use as called for in your recipes.
Yes. Use 1 cup of powdered sugar mixed with approximately 4 tablespoons of plant milk. Just enough milk to make a thick, drippy glaze. Then either drizzle each donut or dip them in top down. You could add 1 tablespoon of cocoa to the glaze to make it chocolatey.
Yes! Divide the batter between 6 wells of a lined muffin pan. Bake at 350°F (176°C) for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. For donut holes dived the batter evenly between the wells of a mini muffin pan and bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes.
Hungry For More?
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Vegan Pumpkin DonutsAuthor:
- 1 ⅔ cup (200 grams) flour , all purpose, spelt or wholewheat (spooned into the cup NOT scooped)
- ½ cup (100 grams) sugar , any granulated sugar. I love to use brown or coconut sugar as they complement the pumpkin nicely.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin spice (see recipe note)
- 4 tablespoons oil or melted vegan butter , or nut/seed butter
- ¾ cup (180 ml) plant milk
- ⅓ cup (75 grams) pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange , optional
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter , melted (optional)
- ½ cup sugar , same as the one you used in the batter
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a donut pan really well with oil.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and pumpkin spice to a bowl and whisk them together to combine.
- To another small bowl or jug add the oil/nut butter and the milk and whisk them really well to combine. Add the pumpkin, vanilla and orange zest and whisk again.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Don't over stir. Just enough that everything is combined and you can't see any dry flour.
- Carefully spoon into the prepared donut pan. Fill almost to the top. I use a spoon to fill, then a clean finger to tidy up around the middle. If you want to be neat you could use a piping bag to pipe the batter in.
- Bake for 13 - 15 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool just long enough that you can handle the pan and donuts without burning yourself, then turn them out onto a cooling rack.
- Brush each donut with melted butter then dip into a bowl of sugar to coat. If you want to dip in sugar without using the melted butter be sure to do it while the donuts are still pretty hot as it will stick better.
So delicious! What an amazing combo! I've never thought of pairing pumpkin and oranges until now. Fantastic recipe. We loved them.
Best pumpkin donuts I've made!
I love these and the kids loved them.
These are so awesome! The orange is a genius addition!