A really simple, flavourful & super juicy, Watermelon Mint Salad that will keep you feeling cool as a cucumber during the warmer summer months!
You are in for a treat today because we are right here with this summer dream of a Watermelon Mint Salad that will leave you feeling cool as a cucumber.
We're talking the juiciest watermelon, crunchy cucumber and fresh mint ... because watermelon really goes in a savoury salad, right?!
I could sense you questioning me on that one. Trust me. It really does!
And let's face it. When the watermelon gods have blessed us with their bounty, we've got to make the most of it.
Lazy summer people I've got you. When it's hot, the last thing you want to do is deal with a load of prep work or cooking.
This is a salad for lazy people because it's ready in a flash.
And it's super healthy and hydrating too for all the healthy people.
I kind of swing between the two. Lazy and semi-healthy when there's not cake or something equally delicious around to tempt me.
What ingredients do I need?
For detailed measurements and instructions, see the printable recipe card.
So to make this Watermelon Mint Salad you need:
How to make Watermelon Mint Salad
Then there's just a bit of chopping of:
That's the most time consuming part. No big deal. You got this!
Shake together the super basic dressing in a jar, then there's a quick toss it all together moment.
Done. Short. Simple. Easy. Told you. You got this!
And that watermelon is dang clever cus it kind of makes its own dressing. Its juices seep out and mix with the other dressing ingredients to make it even better.
How to serve
Even though it's so simple to make, people will be impressed when you whip it out at your next summer get together because it tastes so good. Almost sophisticated. Take it and run. I don't do sophisticated often.
Those flavours. So simple and yet so good. And it works so well with my vegan crab cakes, grilled food and spicy food and not forgetting my baked tofu and Vegan Black Bean Burgers. Currently, my fave thing to eat with this salad. P-E-R-F-E-C-T combo!
It's a seriously delicious, colorful, sweet & savoury, refreshing as it gets, feel-good salad.
The one problem with this Watermelon Mint Salad is that it doesn't keep well. It's best on the day you make it. Kind of ok the day after but not if you are entertaining. You know when it's just you and you're hungry and can live with the fact that things are a little soggy and limp if it means you don't have to fix anything else to eat from scratch. That's what I mean when I say it's kind of ok the next day.
So just make as much as you will need. Scale my quantities up or down as necessary.
Although I've kept this Watermelon Mint Salad pretty basic, because simple is good when we're working with beautiful fresh, seasonal produce, there are some add-ins that would really work in it:
- my Vegan Feta Cheese. thebomb.com . Watermelon Salad with feta just works. It's an incredible combo - that salty tang with the sweet, juicy, crunchy other things ?
- vegan ricotta
- thinly sliced jalapeno
- black olives - that salty, deep flavour works well with the sweetness
- grilled peach slices - summer cookout here we come!
- arugula - those peppery leaves in this would be so amazing
- shaved fennel - haven't tried it but I'm convinced it would be awesome. My tastebud's imaginations are working overtime here!
Hungry for more?
For more summery salad recipes, check out these great options:
- Quinoa Cranberry Salad
- Tomato Chickpea Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Kidney Bean Salad with Lemon and Parsley
Watermelon Mint SaladAuthor:
- 900g | 5 cups watermelon , cubed , (you can vary this to suit you. A little more or less won't hurt).
- 1 whole English style cucumber , chopped into bite sized chunks
- 1 large handful fresh mint , chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , optional - omit to keep oil-free
- 1 lemon , just the juice of. Lime juice also works well.
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Add the chopped watermelon and cucumber to a large salad bowl.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup and a big pinch of freshly ground black pepper up in a small jar or bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the melon and cucumber and stir so everything is coated.
- Sprinkle over the fresh mint and stir gently again.Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.