A simple, flavourful and refreshing minted watermelon & cucumber salad, perfect for the warmer summer months.
It’s been really hot here of late and having the oven on for too long is pretty uncomfortable. Because of this we have been eating a lot of salads and utilizing the slow cooker.
I didn’t think I could beat my Lemon, Spinach & Cranberry Quinoa Salad but this new salad is jostling for the top spot now.
My Minted Watermelon & Cucumber Salad is
very easy to make
and the combination of the sweet watermelon, cool cucumber and mint is just something else.
It is great as a stand alone light lunch or snack and also good as a side. In fact it makes the perfect accompaniment to spicy food. I love it with my Zesty Black Bean Burgers.
This salad comes together very quickly and without much effort although I do recommend that once it is made, you leave it to sit in the fridge for 20 – 30 minutes so the flavours can infuse before you eat it.
Because the ingredients of this salad are pretty wet it doesn’t keep too well. It is definitely best eaten on the same day as it is made. Leftovers are ok the next day but the mint leaves tend to go a little soggy. It is still perfectly edible but I wouldn’t keep it any longer than two days.
If you love salads then check out my Spicy Papaya Salad With Smoky Roasted Peanuts.
Serves 5 as a side
A simple, flavourful and refreshing salad perfect for the warmer summer months.
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- about 5 cups of cubed watermelon (you can vary this to suit you. A little more or less won't hurt).
- 1 cucumber chopped into chunks
- large handful of fresh mint chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- cracked black pepper
- Add your chopped watermelon and cucumber to a large salad bowl.
- Mix your olive oil, lemon juice and maple syrup up in a small cup or bowl to make a dressing.
- Season the dressing with cracked black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the melon and cucumber in the bowl and stir so everything is coated.
- Sprinkle over the fresh mint and stir gently again.
- Cover bowl and place in the fridge for 20 - 30 minutes to let the flavours infuse.