This Tomato Chickpea Salad with Cilantro & Lime has all sorts of good going on. It’s full of nutrition, can be made in minutes & is packed with fresh, citrusy flavour!
I thought that after Tuesday’s One-Minute Cinnamon Roll in a Mug naughtiness, we should put something extra nutritious on the menu today. Not that there is anything wrong with having a treat once in a while, although it seems the sugar and carb police disagree. I came up against quite a few of them this week. The current diabetes epidemic is apparently all my fault……????
Enough of the grumpiness. Let’s fill our faces with this delicious Tomato Chickpea Salad with Cilantro & Lime instead.????
LOADED TACO FRIES REINVENTED
The idea for this recipe came from my Loaded Taco Fries with Lime Crema. When I last made it, I was running a bit low on potatoes so ended up with lots of the chickpea topping leftover. I ate it for my lunch the next day and realized how lovely it was as a salad. So I tweaked it a little bit to improve it further and here we are with this very refreshing, light and deliciously healthy salad recipe.
This very simple yet incredibly tasty salad has only 6 ingredients and takes just a few minutes to make. It is packed with flavour and has so much good going on, it will be sure to make up for any Cinnamon Roll or general dessert madness.
THE PERFECT SIDE
This salad is the perfect accompaniment to so many things. It’s particularly good with veggie burgers, in particular my White Bean Artichoke Burgers and my Zesty Black Bean Burgers. It is great with curries too, and I am sure it will also be wonderful in the summer with grilled food. I like it on it’s own for a light lunch or snack and it would be perfect for packed lunches and picnics. I have also eaten it with some leftover cold rice stirred through it to bulk it out a bit. It is incredibly versatile!
HOW TO MAKE MY TOMATO CHICKPEA SALAD WITH CILANTRO & LIME
- Open a can of chickpeas, drain and rinse (make sure to save that lovely aquafaba. You can make all sorts of yummy things with it like my oil-free Loaded Taco Fries, my Cheese & Onion Roasted Chickpeas and my scrumptious Omelette).
- Chop some tomatoes and red onion then mix with the chickpeas.
- Drizzle over some olive oil and lime juice and season well to taste
- Add some cilantro leaves and stir again.
- Leave to sit for at least 10 minutes for the flavours to mingle.
[clickToTweet tweet=”This Tomato Chickpea Salad with Cilantro & Lime has all sorts of good going on!” quote=”This Tomato Chickpea Salad with Cilantro & Lime has all sorts of good going on!” theme=”style2″]
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!
If you give this salad a try, be a ☆ and let me know what you think in the comments below. You can also share a pic on Instagram. I am @avirtualvegan. Use the hashtag #avirtualvegan to be sure I don’t miss it!
Tomato Chickpea Salad with Cilantro & Lime
- 2 cups | one 540ml can cooked chickpeas
- 1 medium red onion chopped finely
- 4-5 large juicy tomatoes diced
- 2 big handfuls cilantro - flat leaf parsley is a good sub stems removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil omit to make oil-free
- 1 large lime zest & juice
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Add the chickpeas, onion and tomato to a large bowl.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and lime juice and sprinkle over the zest then stir well so everything is coated. Season well with salt and black pepper to taste. Be generous. It really brings out the flavours.
- Add the cilantro leaves and stir again.
- Leave to sit for about 10 minutes to allow the flavours to mingle.
- Stir well before serving.
Estimated nutrition per serving: