This Vegan Cauliflower Soup is easy, creamy, and a perfect cozy classic! Enjoy it in a simple, comforting, unassuming mellow way, or zip it up with the addition of some horseradish sauce, nutritional yeast, or piles of vegan cheese!
Feeling like you need a velvety rich hug in a bowl? Then you're in the right place because this Vegan Cauliflower Soup is bringing it!
We're talking flavourful, veg-loaded, extremely comforting, unassuming, and mellow. But there's also the option to amp it up if you want it to be a little EXTRA.
Sound good? Grab some crusty bread (you'll be needing it!) and read on....
Here are the ingredients you'll be needing to make this delicious and naturally gluten-free and dairy-free cauliflower soup:
And a few ingredient notes:
- Cauliflower - An entire fresh cauliflower. Florets and stalks. You could use frozen cauliflower. You will need about 2lb (907 grams).
- Potatoes - Just 2. The starchy potatoes thicken your cauliflower soup up, making it creamy and a little more substantial, without needing to add flour. You can omit them if you prefer but you will need to reduce the amount of stock by about 1 cup.
- Stock & plant milk - The combo of the 2 adds the perfect blend of flavour and creaminess. Any milk will do such as cashew milk, soy milk, or almond milk. Just make sure it is unsweetened and contains no flavourings like vanilla.
- Thyme - Fresh or dried is fine.
Optional extras - I LOVE to add a tablespoon or two of vegan horseradish sauce to my cauliflower soup. It works so well with the cauliflower flavour and I love the spicy heat it gives. Cheesy flavor (in the form of vegan cheese shreds or nutritional yeast) is also incredibly good! All of these can be added to taste right at the end just before serving.
Not a fan of cauliflower? Go check out my other vegan soup recipes!
How To Make Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Roast the cauliflower and potato. This concentrates their flavour and will make your soup much tastier. Lining the tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat makes clean-up easy.
- While the veggies are roasting saute the onion and garlic.
- Add all of the veggies to a blender and blend until the texture is completely smooth with some of the vegetable stock. You will need to do this probably in 2 batches.
- Pour the blended mixture into a saucepan, add the rest of the stock, milk, and seasonings, plus any optional extras, then heat through on the stove top before serving.
Serve your creamy vegan cauliflower soup with some vegan croutons or crusty bread. These loaves work well with it:
It's also lovely with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, chili crisp, fresh herbs, caramelized onions (like in my pics), some additional roasted cauliflower florets, toasted pumpkin seeds, or some nutritional yeast tofu or sauteed smoked tempeh/vegan bacon for a protein boost.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Vegan Cauliflower SoupAuthor:
- 1 medium (about 2 lb) cauliflower , cut into bite-sized pieces, stalks included
- 2 medium potatoes chopped , peeled & diced
- OPTIONAL 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 cups (480 ml) non-dairy milk , unsweetened & unflavoured
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme , or 2 to 3 small sprigs fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt , or to taste
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegan horseradish sauce (or to taste)
- OR a couple handfuls vegan cheese
- OR 2 to 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast , or to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F (225°C).
- Spread the cauliflower and potato pieces out on a large lined baking sheet. If using the optional olive oil, drizzle over 2 tablespoons then toss to coat. If not using the oil, just leave them as they are.
- Pop the tray in the oven and cook for about 35 minutes until the cauliflower and potato are starting to brown around the edges and are fork tender.
- While the vegetables are roasting, warm a small skillet over medium heat with the remaining tablespoon of oil (use a few drops of water to keep the recipe oil-free). Saute the onion until just starting to turn golden (about 7 minutes), then add the garlic, cook for 1 minute more, then turn off the heat.
- Blend the vegetables (potato, cauliflower, onion and garlic) in batches with as much of the stock as you need to add to the blender to get things moving well. Blend until completely smooth then pour into a large saucepan.
- Once the veg is all blended and in the saucepan, add any remaining stock, the milk, thyme, salt, and pepper then bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add any optional additions (horseradish, vegan cheese, or nutritional yeast), tasting as you go to get it just right for you, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve as soon as it is heated through.