Tuck a napkin into your collar because you're gonna need it when you bite into a big, thick doorstep of a sandwich stuffed to bursting with this creamy Smashed White Bean & Artichoke Vegan Sandwich Filling!
I love sandwiches. Not limp, skinny ones made with processed bread from the grocery store, but great big fat delicious sandwiches made with ridiculously thick slices of my homemade bread and stuffed to bursting with delicious fillings. I also enjoy skipping the sandwich and eating the bread fresh from the oven with some of my homemade Easy Vegan Butter, but that's a whole other story....
WHAT KATY DID
Although I created this White Bean & Artichoke Vegan Sandwich Filling, I can't take credit for the idea. That my friends, is all Katy's doing.
Well she is a reader who made my White Bean Artichoke Burgers and loved them. (Hi Katy if you're reading this!) She left a comment under the burger post, telling me how much she liked them and also suggested that the mixture would make a great base for a vegan tuna salad.
Lightbulb moment! ????
I knew right away that it would work but it's taken me a little while to get the wheels in motion. Hopefully Katy hasn't been completely sandwich-less for months on end while she has been waiting for this moment. ????
If you have tried my White Bean Artichoke Burgers then you will know that they are made of white beans, artichokes, lemon and rosemary. They are absolutely delicious and although summer feels a long way off at the moment, they cook up perfectly on the grill.
Roll on summer grilling. I love it! ♡
This White Bean & Artichoke Vegan Sandwich Filling has the same base ingredients. They are smashed up then mixed with a deliciously creamy, saucy dressing and a few sunflower seeds for added texture.
This tasty mixture makes a wonderful sandwich filling and is also great in wraps, with salads and as a topping on baked potatoes.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR VEGAN SANDWICH FILLING
This White Bean & Artichoke Sandwich Filling is fantastic as it is, but feel free to switch it up a bit to suit your own tastes.
Additions that will work well include:
- raw red onion
- pumpkin Seeds
- chili flakes
- sun-dried tomatoes
- raw carrot
- sriracha or other hot sauce
I hope you enjoy this creamy vegan sandwich filling! If you try it let me know. Leave a comment and don't forget to tag a photo #avirtualvegan on Instagram!
White Bean & Artichoke Vegan Sandwich Filling
- 75 g raw cashew nuts Mine were from a bag of very small cashew nut pieces and they measured ½ cup. If you have whole cashew nuts or halves then 75g will be more than half a cup - for accuracy it's best to weigh them. For a nut-free version use hemp seeds.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon rosemary fresh gives the best flavour but dry is ok
- ¼ teaspoon salt plus a bit more to taste at the end
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper plus a bit more to taste at the end
- finely grated zest of a lemon
- 90 mls non-dairy milk 6 tablespoons
- 150 g canned artichoke hearts around 6 plump ones, or cooked fresh ones chopped roughly
- 270 g cooked white beans around 1¼ cups, I used white kidney beans but lima, navy, cannellini beans are all ok too
- ¼ cup hulled sunflower seeds roasted, raw or salted although if salted you might not need so much seasoning
- If you do not have a really high powered blender, soak the cashew nuts in boiling water for 15 minutes then drain them before proceeding.
- Add the cashew nuts, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, lemon zest and milk to a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- In a bowl, mash the beans with a fork. Add the chopped artichoke hearts and the sunflower seeds.
- Pour over the dressing and stir well so everything is coated.
- Taste and add more seasoning. I liked extra black pepper in mine.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.