Easy & incredibly tasty White Bean Artichoke Burgers with hints of lemon & rosemary. Perfect served with lots of gloriously green guacamole & a dribble of hot sauce!
Happy Canada Day! The weather is absolutely beautiful so we are kicking off our long weekend with a BBQ tonight. My Grilled Baby Potatoes with Rosemary will certainly be making an appearance, and what BBQ is complete without veggie burgers?
DO GRILL-ABLE VEGGIE BURGERS EXIST?
I've tried to grill many veggie burger recipes and ended up hungry and frustrated when they have fallen to pieces, slipped down through the grate and gone up in flames. It's not only a huge disappointment but also a real waste of food.
My Vegan Black Bean Lime Burgers are one of the most popular recipes on the blog, but I have yet to try them on the grill. I did intend to a couple of weeks ago but discovered I was out of black beans at the last moment. I didn't have time to go to the store so had to make do with what I did have which was a tin of lima beans and a tin of artichoke hearts.
THESE MY FRIENDS, ARE GRILL-ABLE!
I whipped some veggie burgers up in five minutes flat and after refrigerating them for a while, put them on the grill to cook with fingers crossed. I couldn't believe it when they held together and grilled up perfectly!
These White Bean Artichoke Burgers are really easy to make. You don't even need a food processor. You simply combine the ingredients, shape them into patties and refrigerate until needed. You can make them up to a few days ahead (as long as you keep them well covered in the fridge so they don't dry up) and they grill perfectly. You can also cook them in the oven or in a pan.
LEMON & ROSEMARY IS THE PERFECT COMBO
The burgers have subtle white bean and artichoke flavours which are enhanced by the addition of some lemon zest and rosemary. They develop a lovely crust on the outside but remain soft and moist on the inside. I love to serve them with lots of guacamole and some hot sauce. Sriracha goes particularly well with them, as does my Fiery Habanero Hot Sauce.
If you love the white bean and artichoke combo be sure to check out my White Bean Artichoke Sandwich Filling recipe. It's awesome!
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THESE WHITE BEAN ARTICHOKE BURGERS
If you give these White Bean Artichoke Burgers a try please let me know! Leave a comment below or tag a picture #virtualvegan on Instagram so I can see how yours turned out. I will try grilling my Vegan Black Bean Lime Burgers soon and I will update the recipe if it works. Hopefully you will end up with two grillable veggie burger options!
White Bean Artichoke BurgersAuthor:
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- 14oz / 2 cups white beans drained I used cannellini beans but lima or great northern would also work
- 14oz / 2 cups canned artichoke hearts drained & chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 90g / 1 cup rolled oats or quick oats
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary dried or fresh
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Saute the onion in a pan until golden brown. I used a dry fry pan but you can use a little drop of oil of you prefer.
- Add the beans to a bowl and mash roughly with a potato masher. You just want them a bit crushed.
- Put the oats in a food processor or blender & pulse a few times. You want them broken up into smaller pieces. They don't have to be as fine as flour.
- Add the oats to the beans then add all of the other ingredients.
- Get your hands in the bowl and squidge everything together well with your fingers.
- Shape into 4 patties and squeeze together really well with your fingers. Then place on a tray /plate covered with baking parchment or a Silpat . Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. It's fine to leave them up to a couple of days.
To cook on a grill
- Place on a hot grill and leave to cook until a nice crust develops then turn over. Time depends on how hot your grill is. Mine took about 10 minutes each side.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
To cook in an oven
- Put the burgers on a lined tray and bake them in the oven on 350°F until heated through (about 30 minutes).
To cook in a fry pan or skillet
- Heat the fry pan/skillet with a small drop go oil.
- When very hot add the burger patties.
- Turn over once a nice golden crust has formed on one side (10 mins max) then cook until a golden crust forms on the other other side.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.