Vegan Instant Pot Potato Curry! Super quick, easy, nutritious, delicious and no fancy spices needed, plus it's really budget-friendly!
This Vegan Instant Pot Curry is an Instant Pot friendly spin-off of my Simple Green Bean Potato Curry and it is quick, easy and budget-friendly. It has only 8 ingredients (plus water, salt & pepper) and it is super easy to make. This is cooking for lazy people who like their food!
A lot of people are a little daunted at the thought of making curries. Lots of spices are usually involved and they often take a little bit of time. If you aren't familiar with mixing and matching spices, aren't confident in trying, or you don't like a lot of spices or just can't be bothered to spend ages cooking, then this is the curry for you! It's so quick and easy.
I can't stress enough how happy I am to be back in comfort food season and this Instant Pot Curry ticks all the cozy food boxes.
As nice as it is to have a pot of something delicious bubbling on the stove, it's also pretty nice to throw it all in an Instant Pot, walk away and put your feet up. No babysitting it or having to stir it.
No Instant Pot?
If you don't have an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, don't worry because you can still make this recipe. Just follow the stove-top instructions here instead.
How to serve
Cook it up and serve it with rice, naan bread, or if you want a super quick homemade side, my super quick no yeast flatbreads. You'll have an amazing, tasty dinner in no time at all!
This Vegan Instant Pot Potato Curry is pretty flexible. If you don't have green beans, frozen peas make a great alternative and feel free to throw in any other veggies you have lurking about.
Hungry for more?
For more Vegan Instant Pot recipes, check out these great options:
- Vegan Instant Pot Portobello Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Dal
- Teriyaki Instant Pot Rice
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Healthy Chocolate Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Seasoned Pressure Cooker Black Beans
Subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too. Also be sure to check out my cookbook Vegan Comfort Cooking for even more recipes!
Vegan Instant Pot Potato CurryAuthor:
- 1 medium yellow onion , chopped - I like to cut mine in half moons slices but if you prefer you can chop it finely
- 4 large cloves of garlic , chopped finely
- 900g / about 5 heaping cups baby potatoes , regular potatoes are ok too but the waxier varieties are best because they remain firmer. Floury potatoes might fall apart a bit. Cut any larger ones into chunky bite sized pieces. No need to peel them unless you prefer to.
- 2 tablespoons curry powder or curry paste , be sure to use a good flavorful brand
- 500mls / around 2 cups water
- 400g / 2 heaping cups fresh green beans , chopped into bite sized pieces. You can also use frozen beans, no need to defrost first. Frozen peas also work well as a sub.
- 1 400ml can coconut milk , full fat or light
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional but recommended)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes or a small fresh chili chopped (optional but recommended)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder , or corn starch
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS (My Instant Pot is a 6 quart. If yours is a different size you will need to scale the recipe up or down accordingly).
- Set your instant pot to saute. Once hot, add a few drops of water (or oil) and cook the onions until translucent, then add the garlic and cook for one minute longer. Press the KEEP WARM/CANCEL button.(This sautéing step adds a little more flavour but you can skip it if you are short on time.)
- Add everything else to the Instant Pot except the green beans and arrowroot/cornstarch.
- Set the Instant Pot to 20 minutes on MANUAL high pressure and allow the pressure to release naturally after this time.
- Press KEEP WARM/CANCEL, remove the lid and press SAUTE. Put the arrowroot/cornstarch into a small bowl or cup and mix into it a few tablespoons of water to make a thickish but pourable slurry. Pour it into the Instant Pot stirring as you go.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then add the green beans and cook for about 5 minutes until they are tender and the gravy has thickened.
- Serve immediately.
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS
- See here
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.