Super quick and easy 5 ingredient Corn Flour Pancakes. They are golden, fluffy, and can be mixed up & on your plate in under 15 minutes!
Oh my these Corn Flour Pancakes are so good! Golden, super light and fluffy, and slightly crispy on the outside.
They have a delicious, mellow sweet taste from the corn flour, (a bit like cornbread), and are so much lighter than pancakes made with regular all-purpose flour. They also happen to be dairy-free, egg-free, naturally gluten-free, and so quick and easy to make.
Add a pat of vegan butter and a drizzle of maple syrup and it's like all your perfect vegan breakfasts have come at once!
This is an incredibly simple recipe that is made with just a handful of pantry staple ingredients and no eggs are required! Here is exactly what you need:
And a couple of ingredient notes:
- Corn flour - You must use corn flour and not cornmeal in this recipe. Corn flour is very finely ground cornmeal. It is not cornstarch/UK cornflour. I use Bob's Red Mill Corn Flour. This recipe will not work with all-purpose flour.
- Sugar - This is optional in this recipe. It does bring out the flavour of the corn flour and helps to make the pancakes golden though so I do recommend using it if you can.
Success Tip- For maximum flavour, colour and crispiness, I highly recommend cooking the pancakes in vegan butter.
How To Make Corn Flour Pancakes
This has got to be one of the easiest and quickest pancakes recipes to make EVER. Unlike most pancake recipes, there is no resting time for the batter and you don't even need to worry about over-mixing because it is naturally gluten-free.
Here's a quick summary of how it's done:
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix them together.
- Pour in the plant milk and vanilla.
- Whisk together to form a smooth batter.
- Cook the pancakes in batches on a skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.
The whole process takes less than 15 minutes start to finish!
Success tip - Treat the pancakes gently when cooking/flipping. Because they don't contain any gluten they are quite delicate.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Corn Flour PancakesAuthor:
- 2 cups (247 grams) corn flour , not meal - it must be very finely ground (see recipe notes RE how to measure correctly) In the UK it is sometimes labeled as maize flour.
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cup (320 mls) milk of choice
- To a medium bowl, add the corn flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk them together.
- Add the milk and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix them together well.
- Heat a griddle, skillet or frying pan over a medium low heat. Add a drizzle of mildly flavoured oil or some vegan butter and allow to melt/spread around the pan. If you have a good non stick pan/griddle you can cook them oil-free.
- Once hot add the batter about ⅓ cup (80 mls) at a time. Allow them to cook undisturbed, until bubbles start forming around the edges and they start to look slightly set around the edges. Don't wait for bubbles to appear all over the top.
- Flip gently and cook on the other side until lightly golden. This won't take long. 30 seconds or so. Don't overcook them or they will become dry.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience. The data is a computer generated estimate and should be used as a guide only.