Simple & delicious Vegan Blueberry Bran Muffins that are packed full of healthy ingredients. Only 152 calories each, whole grain, oil & refined-sugar free. Perfect for breakfast, snacks & lunch boxes!
An email from a reader last month, asking if I could come up with a recipe for some Vegan Blueberry Bran Muffins was the prompt I needed to create this recipe. And then later, my Healthy Carrot Muffins too.
MUFFINS FOR BREAKFAST?
Muffins aren't something I have grown up associating with breakfast. You probably already know that I am English and moved to Canada a couple of years ago. In England, the only muffins associated with breakfast are English Muffins and they are bread-like rather than cake-like. No-one eats 'cakey' muffins for breakfast. They are more of a dessert or afternoon tea type treat.
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable eating a sugary muffin made with refined flour for breakfast, but one full of whole grain spelt flour, high fibre wheat bran, oats and juicy berries is a whole different ball game and I have fully embraced the 'muffins for breakfast thing' since creating this recipe.
Thanks Diane! :O)
PACKED FULL OF GOOD STUFF
These Vegan Blueberry Bran Muffins are packed full of good stuff and are only lightly sweetened with a little coconut sugar. They are completely oil-free and come in at only 152 calories each with an impressive 6 grams of fibre and 5 grams of protein per serving. They can be eaten as they are, but are also delicious split and spread with my Vegan Butter or some peanut butter. One (or two!) make a fantastic breakfast, either at home or packed up to enjoy on the commute to work or school. They are also great as lunch box stuffers and after school snacks and freeze absolutely perfectly for a month or two.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THESE VEGAN BLUEBERRY BRAN MUFFINS
If you try these gorgeous blueberry studded muffins, please let me know what you think. You can leave your feedback below and share your pictures with me on Instagram. I am @avirtualvegan. Use the tag #avirtualvegan to be sure I won't miss them.
For best results please use the ingredients and cooking method described below. Substitutions often affect how a recipe turns out. Please only rate the recipe if you have actually tried it. That way the star rating is an accurate representation and helpful to other readers. Thank you and I hope you love this recipe!
Vegan Blueberry Bran MuffinsAuthor:
- 230g / 2 cups spelt flour
- 58g / 1 cup wheat bran
- 50g / ½ cup rolled oats
- 90 g / ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 312 mls / 1¼ cups non-dairy milk
- 125 g / ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 148 g / 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line muffin trays (I like to use silicone liners )
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a large bowl (except blueberries)
- Add all of the wet ingredients to another bowl or jug and stir them together well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix as this can affect the muffins finished texture.
- Add the blueberries and stir until evenly distributed.
- Spoon carefully into the muffin liners and bake for around 20 minutes or until a tooth pick / skewer can be inserted into the middle and come out almost clean.
- Remove from the oven and cook on cooling trays .
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.