Healthy Carrot Muffins. Full of wholesome ingredients like bran, oats, wholegrain flour, carrots & sultanas plus as an added bonus they are completely oil-free. Perfect for breakfast, snacks or lunch boxes!
Healthy. Muffins. No I'm not kidding. These Healthy Carrot Muffins really are healthy.
The recipe is based on my very popular Vegan Blueberry Bran Muffins and comes from a reader request. Or should I say many reader requests. Those muffins are so popular and I've been getting messages asking for different flavour combos for ages.
Well, I finally got around to it.
These Healthy Carrot Muffins are stuffed full of wholesome ingredients like whole grain spelt flour, oats, bran, carrots and sultanas. They are also completely oil-free and there is only half a cup of coconut sugar in the whole batch of a dozen.
Not that you would ever know. They are so moist and delicious.
They are what you call 'hearty muffins'. Packed with nutrition, packed with flavour and really filling. Perfect for healthy breakfasts, snacks or lunch boxes.
I like to make 12 at a time because my muffin pan has 12 holes and it would be weird to only half fill it. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ????
My Favourite Muffin Pan
I treated myself to this USA Pan Muffin Pan (<<affiliate link) a little while ago. It's been a muffin game changer. It conducts heat brilliantly and I don't even use muffin liners any more because they just don't stick. They pop right out. I love it. If you are thinking of investing in a new one I'd highly recommend it.
This is why I am loving these Healthy Carrot Muffins:
- They are wholesome and nutritious
- There is not a drop of oil or butter in them
- They are wholegrain & refined sugar free
- They contain vegetables so we can actually feel good about eating them! ????
- Making them is so easy (grate the carrots in a food processor (<< affiliate link) with the grating disc attachment in seconds).
- They taste great
- They freeze perfectly - If they don't all get eaten immediately, I freeze some for breakfasts or lunch boxes another time. That's about a organized as I get when it come to batch cooking!
These Healthy Carrot Muffins are great eaten as they are but are even better with a generous schmear of my Vegan Butter. They are also really good spread with nut butter.
We might still be in the post-Christmas, trying to eat more healthily phase of the year but what kind of life would it be without muffins?
I don't want to find out....So, let's do this!
Healthy Carrot Muffins
- 172 g / 1½ cups spelt flour
- 58 g / 1 cup wheat bran
- 50 g / ½ cup rolled oats
- 96 g / ½ cup coconut sugar , most other sugar will work too
- 145 g / 1 cup raisins , or sultanas
- 60 g / ½ cup chopped walnuts , OPTIONAL - omit to make nut-free. Pecans are a great substitute for walnuts
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 300 mls / 1¼ cups milk of choice , i used unsweetened milk. Bear in mind that sweetened milk will make the muffins sweeter
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar , or lemon juice
- 110 g / 1 cup grated carrot , if you have a food processor use the grating disc to grate them in seconds
- 125 g / ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare muffin pan. Grease or line with liners.
- Put all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir together to combine well.
- Put all of the wet ingredients into a bowl or jug and stir together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together to combine but don't overmix.
- Spoon evenly into the muffins pan. I found a heaping ice-cream scoop to be about the right amount for each hole.
- Bake for around 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean then cool on a baking rack.
If you did, be a ☆ and let me know what you think by rating it and commenting below. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan ________________________________________________________ Calories are calculated without walnuts as they are optional.