Blueberries are little spheres of joy. Not only do they taste good but they are absolutely stuffed full of goodness.
A true superfood.
They have one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all fruits. These antioxidants help to neutralize free radicals linked to the development of cancer, cardiovascular disease and many other age related conditions. They have also been shown to improve eye health, memory and blood sugar regulation.
So eat more blueberries guys!
A reader reached out to me last week asking if I had any blueberry recipes and I was surprised to find that I didn’t and promised her that I would come up with something new which featured blueberries.
And that is how Blueberry Breakfast Bites came about.
These Blueberry Breakfast Bites are
coconutty (is that a word?)
and stuffed full of blueberry goodness.
They are also super easy to make and come together from start to finish in under half an hour. They keep well in the fridge and can also be frozen, a good option if you think you might be tempted to eat them all at once!
Blueberry Breakfast Bites. Healthy, little muffins crammed full of oozy blueberries. A great way to start the day!
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (cane sugar would also work)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce (you could sub mashed banana if you don't mind a banana flavour in the finished bites)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (liquid measure)
- heaping half cup of fresh blueberries (frozen would also work here)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Add all the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl.and mix so combined well.
- Stir the apple sauce, milk and coconut oil together.
- Pour the apple sauce mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spoon into lined muffin pans. I use silicone liners
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 mins.
- Let them cool in their cases for at least 15 minutes before removing them.