Make your breakfast special with these healthy but very delicious, beautifully soft, very fluffy, oil-free vegan pancakes.
I couldn’t be one of those people who eats the same thing for breakfast everyday. It would drive me insane. It is my favourite meal of the day and I always make sure I have time to sit down and enjoy it properly before my day gets properly underway.
Pancakes aren’t something I eat often but every now and again a craving hits. In the past, if I have been home alone, I have avoided making them as I usually end up with far too many just for me due to the fact that most recipes are designed to feed multiple people. I also only have one small pan that is good enough for pancakes so when there are a whole bunch to make it takes a little while. As much as I like to make time to sit and enjoy my breakfast, I don’t usually have the time to take ages preparing it.
Pancake cravings happened here a couple of weeks ago and I just had to have them. I got to thinking that if I sometimes wish I could make pancakes just for me, then plenty of you probably do too. That was when I decided to come up with a recipe that serves just one person.
I started playing around with a recipe and was getting great results, then I started getting emails from some of you guys asking for more oil-free recipes. The pancake recipe I had been practicing was pretty healthy as far as pancakes go, but it did include a little coconut oil. I decided to modify the recipe slightly to make the pancakes oil-free.
The recipe didn’t take long to perfect and I am so pleased with it. These Healthy Oil-Free Vegan Pancakes For One are so soft, fluffy and delicious. You do not miss the oil in this recipe at all. They are every bit as good as pancakes made with oil and they are healthier with less calories!
“How many pancakes you would expect to get if you were making a recipe for one?”
It turns out that most of you are as greedy as me when it comes to pancakes and said three would be good. Some people said two was enough though. Because of the mixed response I have given measurements for making two or three pancakes. That way you can decide at the time you are making them whether you are just hungry enough for two, or greedy enough for three! ;O)
To be perfectly honest, two is enough to feel satisfied, but if you don’t eat pancakes often, it’s not going to hurt to push the boat out and eat three once in a while, especially when they are oil-free and healthy!
These are pancakes that you do not need to feel guilty about eating. As long as you don’t go mad with butter and syrup they are actually pretty good for you.
I use spelt flour in these pancakes because I love the taste and because it is a much healthier option than white flour. If you have never tried spelt flour then I highly recommend you buy yourself a bag next time you are at the store. It is just fabulous for baking, and pancakes or waffles, with none of the heaviness that you might get with wholewheat flour.
If you don’t have spelt flour to hand and want to try this recipe then all purpose white flour works very well. Wholewheat flour did not give the same results in my trials. Don’t get me wrong, they were ok and perfectly edible, but they were a little heavy and they didn’t have quite the same soft and fluffy texture as they do when spelt or all purpose flour is used.
I have not included sugar of any kind in this recipe because I figure that whatever you add as a topping is usually sweet anyway. If however you do want your pancakes sweet feel free to add some to the batter. About one tablespoon should be enough.
These pancakes can be served with whatever you enjoy most but are particularly good with fresh strawberries and maple syrup or my Blueberry Lavender Sauce.
If you give these Oil-Free Vegan Pancakes a whirl please share your pictures with me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. I am @virtualvegan. I love to see your versions of my recipes. I would also really appreciate it of you could rate the recipe by hitting the yellow stars and/or leave some feedback in the comments section under the recipe. Thanks so much!
Healthy Oil-Free Vegan Pancakes For One
For 2 pancakes
- Start by putting the milk and chia seeds in a jug or bowl. Stir well.
- Add the vinegar and vanilla and stir again.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to a separate bowl and mix to combine.
- Get a pan ready on a medium heat. I cooked my pancakes with no oil and you can too if your fry pan is a good nonstick one. If you are at all concerned that it might not be then use a teaspoon or two of oil to ensure the pancakes don't stick.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir to combine (just enough to combine everything and so that you can't see any dry flour). DO NOT over stir. A few little lumps won't hurt.
- Check your pan is hot and then spoon the pancake batter into it. Make the pancakes about 4 inches in diameter.
- Once the batter is in the pan turn the heat down to half way between medium and very low. The trick to good pancakes is not rushing them so be patient.
- Watch and wait until you see some bubbles start to form on the top of the pancakes.
- When you see bubbles flip them over gently and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately.