A bowl of brilliant green goodness to warm your soul! This Green Pea Soup with a generous handful of mint for good measure, is healthy, low calorie, packed with protein and super simple to make. With only 6 ingredients (plus salt & pepper) you probably already have everything you need to make it too!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
I’m b-a-c-k!!! My cookbook is written and the manuscript has been signed, sealed and delivered. It’s also available to pre-order! ????
If you want to be the first to get your hands on it you can pre-order it here.
I still have more work to do, like sift through and edit about a million photographs, but I don’t feel under so much pressure now that the recipes are created and the actual words are all written. I even photographed the book cover yesterday!
It was such a big relief to submit it but now the nerves have kicked in big style. I so want you all to love it!
Now that the pressure is off though, I can semi get back to normal while I work through the remainder of it, so let’s talk soup!
Because fall is here and that means it’s soup season. And because this Minty Green Pea Soup is here and it’s my first new recipe in ages and it’s so good to be back.
I love cozying up with a big bowl of soup, and I love it even more when it’s quick and easy to make like this one.
Do you all remember my Easy Tomato Basil Soup? That one is ready in 10 minutes flat and has become one of the most popular recipes on my website.
This one is just as easy and almost as quick.
Throughout fall and winter I tend to make a big pot of soup once a week. We have it for dinner then eat the leftovers throughout the week for lunches or a quick warm up dinner on another night.
In addition to the green peas which are the star of the show here, this soup is made special with a big handful of fresh mint. It adds such a lovely fresh flavour and in combination with the sweet, sweet peas it so yum. The sauteed onions and garlic add depth of flavour, and a splash of non-dairy milk adds creaminess. You could make it even creamier by using canned light coconut milk instead.
HOW TO MAKE PEA SOUP
SEE MY VIDEO FOR A VISUAL GUIDE. FOR INGREDIENTS & FULL INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST
As I said above, this Minty Green Pea Soup is really quick and easy to make. Here’s how:
Sauté some onions and garlic
Add a bag of still frozen peas and some veggie broth or water and simmer until the peas have defrosted.
Add the soup to a blender, throw in the mint (don’t forget it like I did in my video ????) and blend until absolutely smooth.
I love my Blendtec as it gets the soup really silky, fast.
Pour back into the pan, add more broth or non-dairy milk to thin a little, and season to taste
Allow to warm through then serve.
So simple, so quick. And because the mint gets aded right at the end, it’s taste stays really fresh and vibrant.
HOW TO SERVE MINTY GREEN PEA SOUP
I love to serve this soup with a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and a side of crusty bread. My Easy No Knead Focaccia is amazing with it. Croutons would also make a lovely accompaniment.
Leftovers keep really well in the fridge for 5 to 6 days and can be reheated in a microwave or on the stovetop. It also freezes perfectly.
THIS MINTY GREEN PEA SOUP IS:
- Quick and easy
- Savory and sweet
- Fresh and healthy
- Packed with protein (thank you green peas!)
- A beautiful vibrant green colour. It would be great for dinner on Halloween!
I can’t wait for you to embrace soup season and give it a try!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you did, be a ☆ and let me know what you think by rating it and commenting below. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan
Minty Green Pea Soup
- 2 teaspoons oil of choice , or water to make oil free
- 1 medium onion , chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped finely
- 1 kg / 2.2 lbs frozen green peas
- 600 mls vegetable broth
- 1 big handful fresh mint leaves
- non-dairy milk or more broth , to thin, use light coconut milk to make it extra creamy
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Warm a soup pan over a medium heat and add the oil or water if you want to keep the recipe oil free.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 10 minutes until golden brown, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the still frozen peas and the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook until the peas have defrosted.
- Transfer to a blender , add the mint and blend until completely smooth, then pour back into the pan.
- Add more broth or non-dairy milk to thin to the consistency you like your soup, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow it to warm through until piping hot then serve immediately.