Vegan friendly Beyond Meat Meatloaf that's juicy, packed with flavour, perfectly tender and slices perfectly without crumbling. All finished off with a sticky caramelized meatloaf glaze!
The very essence of comfort food is coming at you today. We're talking Beyond Meat Meatloaf and not to be dramatic or anything, but this glazed beauty is good. Like REALLY good. I am officially obsessed.
The Beyond Beef is amazing in it. It looks like it's made with meat and tastes like it's made with meat and has passed the non-vegan family test hands down, with them asking me to make it again and again.
Say hello to your comfort food loving self and lets dive in ... And be prepared to be licking your plate clean once you're done. This really is the only meatless meatloaf recipe you need!
Here's what you will be needing to make my Beyond Meat Meatloaf recipe:
- Beyond Meat ground beef- This recipe has been developed with Beyond Ground Beef. I haven't tried it but I'm sure it would work just as well with Impossible ground beef or any other very similar product. The recipe will not work with less realistic vegan ground beef products like Gardein and Yves because they don't have a realistic ground beef texture. The meatloaf would not hold together with them. I do have another lentil based vegan meatloaf recipe which is a real reader favourite, so if you would rather not use Beyond Meat you should check that recipe out instead.
- Flavourings - All of the usual meatloaf suspects are going in to give it maximum flavour. I also like to add a bit of smoked paprika for a touch of smoky flavour. You can use chipotle powder instead or omit it completely if you don't have either.
- No eggs or egg substitute like flax egg or JUST Egg are required in this recipe. As long as you follow it as written, with the blended or grated onion, ketchup and panko breadcrumbs combination, your meatloaf will hold together and slice beautifully.
The meatloaf glaze - I love to cover my meatloaf with a glaze. It's a quick and simple way to add extra tangy flavour and make it look shiny and gorgeous. Here are the simple ingredients you will be needing to make the meatloaf glaze:
As for making the glaze, it couldn't be easier. Just stir the 3 ingredients together and you're done. If you prefer though you can use store bought or homemade BBQ sauce instead.
How to make Beyond Meat Meatloaf
Beyond Meat Meatloaf is really quick and easy to prepare. Here's how:
- Blitz the onion in a food processor or blender until it's pulpy and liquidy, then spoon into a large bowl. If you don't have a food processor or blender then grate it finely instead. This step makes the meatloaf extra tender and flavourful because the onion juice seeps into the breadcrumbs. It also gives the meatloaf a better texture and ensures it slices well.
- Mix everything except the Beyond beef and breadcrumbs into the onion mixture.
- Add the Beyond beef and the breadcrumbs.
- Using a clean hand mix and squeeze the mixture together well.
- Line a loaf pan with a strip of parchment paper.
- Pack the meatloaf mixture into the pan and bake.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooktime, mix up the glaze and brush the top of the meatloaf generously.
- Bake again then rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Success tip - Don't skip the blending/grating of the onion! It gives the meatloaf the best possible flavour and texture, and the extra moisture from it helps the meatloaf hold together and slice well.
Got a leftover slice or two? Try it in a sandwich ;O)
Once prepped you can store the uncooked meatloaf wrapped in cling-wrap in the fridge for up to 3 days before you bake it. For food safety reasons do not freeze it. See FAQs for more info re this.
Once cooked, leftovers can be wrapped and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat either wrap in foil and pop in the oven on 350° until hot (time will vary depending on the size of the piece you are reheating but as a guide half a meatloaf take about 22-25 mins), or slice then fry in a skillet with a tin bit of oil.
No. Leave it uncovered. We want the meatloaf to brown (more flavour!) and the glaze to get nice and sticky.
Impossible ground beef or other similar very realistic vegan ground beef products should work well in place of the Beyond Beef. Less realistic vegan meats such as Yves and Gardein ground round will not work in this recipe.
Beyond Beef is shipped to stores frozen. That means once it has been defrosted by the store before you purchase, or by you at home if you purchased it frozen, it should not be re-frozen. Once the meatloaf has been cooked though it is safe to freeze again. Let it cool completely, wrap thoroughly and freeze for up to 3 months.
Yes. Bake them at 350°F for 15 minutes. Remove, brush with glaze then bake for another 12 to 15 minutes.
Yes. Simply use gluten-free Panko-style breadcrumbs. Everything else in the recipe is naturally gluten-free.
Hungry for more?
Beyond Meat MeatloafAuthor:
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves garlic , minced very finely
- ⅓ cup (80 mls) tomato ketchup , or BBQ sauce
- 2½ teaspoons dried mixed herbs , such as Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence. You could use 1½ teaspoons of dried thyme instead.
- 1¼ teaspoon smoked paprika , or chipotle powder
- 1¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoon fine sea salt , not table salt
- 1⅓ cup / 110 grams panko breadcrumbs (use gluten-free style panko breadcrumbs if necessary)
- 2 x 16oz (453 gram) packs Beyond Meat ground beef , if you are in the UK or Canada please see the recipe notes as pack sizes are different
For the glaze
- ½ cup (120 ml) tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar , or coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190 °C).
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with a long strip of greaseproof paper, with enough extra coming up over the ends to act as handles for lifting out the meatloaf.
- Peel the onion and pulverize it in a food processor or blender until it's a liquidy pulp, then add to a large mixing bowl. If you don't have a blender or food processor grate the onion finely, making sure to collect up all the juicy liquid that comes out. This step is really important so don't be tempted to just chop the onion.
- Add all of the other meatloaf ingredients except the breadcrumbs and the Beyond Beef, into the bowl with the onion and mix thoroughly together with a spatula.
- Get some hot soapy water ready for hand-washing, then add the Beyond Beef and the breadcrumbs to the onion mixture. Mix and squeeze together thoroughly using your hands so everything is evenly combined throughout the Beyond beef.
- Pack the mixture into the loaf pan very tightly, level the top with a spatula then place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. I like to sit it on a baking tray just in case any grease bubbles over the edge of the loaf pan.
- While it's baking mix up the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- After 45 minutes remove the meatloaf from the oven and brush generously with the glaze. Return to the oven and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush generously again with the glaze, then leave to rest for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Slice and serve with any remaining glaze.
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tomato ketchup (or BBQ sauce)
- 2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs such as Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ teaspoon sea salt, (not table salt)
- 1 cup (83 grams) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 x 340 gram/12 oz packs Beyond Meat Ground Beef
- (the glaze can stay the same)
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.