Thick, hearty and creamy Vegan Potato Soup. It's really simple to make and very budget-friendly. You can enjoy it just as it is, or get crazy with toppings. I like to finish mine off with some crumbled tempeh bacon, crispy roasted potato chunks & a sprinkle of parsley for a pop of colour!
Who's up for a bowl of the best comforting, creamy, vegan potato soup?
If so you are in the right place!
You all know I love potatoes. I could eat my Crispy Roasted Potatoes until they come out of my ears. Sometimes though, I want soft and soothing potato-centric comfort food instead.
It's been cold here and life has brought more downs than ups of late, so I've been craving all the comfort food. I am a terrible comfort eater.
But, I'm also making a real effort to eat well. New year, new me and all that....I can't guarantee how long that will last though, as I had a great muffin recipe idea last night, but until then, Vegan Potato Soup fits the bill perfectly.
Full of veggies √
Low in fat √
Plus, just like my vegan vegetable soup, it also happens to be mega budget friendly which is always nice after Christmas (and after buying and moving into a new house)!
How to make vegan potato soup
This is such a simple soup to make. Here's what you need:
And here's how it's done:
STEP 1 - Sauté the onions, celery, carrots and garlic.
STEP 2 - Add the seasoning, nutmeg and flour.
STEP 3 - Add the non-dairy milk gradually, then the broth, making sure to work out any lumps as you go.
STEP 4 - Add the bay leaf and potatoes.
STEP 5 - Simmer until the potatoes are starting to break down and the soup is thick and creamy.
So simple, and such a lovely family dinner, plus it reheats perfectly so leftovers are great for enjoying throughout the week.
This Vegan Potato Soup is perfectly smooth, rich and creamy without any cream, and it's chunky and super-filling. You won't be hungry an hour after eating it like with a lot of soups.
Make it even more filling and delicious by adding toppings. ALL the toppings!
Because it's such a simple soup just about anything goes. Some favourites of mine are:
- Smoky tempeh bacon crumbled and cooked in a pan until golden and crispy. I like Tofurkey's Smoky Maple Bacon Tempeh and if you are in Canada, President's Choice make a similar one too.
- Crispy roasted potato chunks
- Fresh parsley
- Roasted carrots
- Green onion
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan bacon
- Vegan cheese AND vegan bacon
- Croutons (see how I make mine in my Creamy Leek & Potato Soup)
- Crispy Cheese & Onion Roasted Chickpeas
To recap, this Vegan Potato Soup is;
- Low fat
- Budget friendly
- Super easy to make
- and so comforting and delicious!
So get on your comfy pants, thick fluffy socks, and grab a massive bowl full of this Vegan Potato Soup, snuggle up on the sofa, and soothe the day away!
Hungry for more?
For more great vegan soup recipes check out these great options:
- Vegan Italian Sausage Pasta Soup
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Vegan Carrot Soup
- Vegan Pea Soup
- Udon Noodle Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too. Also be sure to check out my cookbook Vegan Comfort Cooking for even more recipes!
Vegan Potato SoupAuthor:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter , or olive oil, or to make oil-free omit and use a few tablespoons of water for sautéing instead
- 2 medium onions , chopped finely
- 2 ribs celery , diced
- 2 large carrots , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons salt , plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour , or gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 cups / 480 mls non dairy milk , cashew milk or soy milk are my milks of choice for savory recipes but any other unsweetened creamy non-dairy milk will work too
- 2½ - 3 cups / 600 - 720 mls flavourful vegetable broth/stock , divided
- 5 medium / about 700 g potatoes , cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg , (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- To a large saucepan, add the vegan butter/oil and warm over a medium heat before adding the onions, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are just starting to get a little colour, then add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper, then the flour to the pan and stir it all around for about a minute to cook the raw flour taste out, then slowly add the soy milk, stirring as you go to work out any lumps. Then add the vegetable broth (reserving about ½ a cup / 120 mls) , chopped potatoes, nutmeg and the bay leaf.
- Stir really well then let it simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and just starting to break down. Add all of, or some of, the reserved ½ a cup / 120 mls of broth if you prefer a thinner consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve as it is, or with toppings. See the post above for ideas.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.