A super quick & easy Vegan Potato Leek Soup with only 5 ingredients (plus water & seasoning). It's creamy, comforting & healthy & makes the perfect light lunch or a more substantial dinner with lots of crusty bread, spread with a generous amount of my vegan butter, for dunking!
This Vegan Potato Leek Soup is the kind of soup that gives you a hug for lunch for lunch or dinner. It's so super creamy and cozy!
And in addition to being creamy, cozy and super delicious, it is also really nutritious.
It's got all the goodness of the leeks and potatoes hiding out in there, as well as healthy fat from the coconut milk. And all of that is blended up into velvety perfection.
This is my kind of soup!
A lot of my inspiration for recipes comes from my amazing local greengrocer.
Whenever I go there and see the piles and piles of beautiful produce, I come away with so many recipe ideas. And after my most recent trip, I arrived home with a bunch of beautiful leeks, a little bundle of fresh thyme and my favourite Yukon Gold potatoes.
Out came the soup pot and within thirty minutes I was sitting down to a warm, nourishing bowl of this Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup.
A tumble of crispy, golden croutons might have ended up on top too.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP?
This Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup has just five ingredients (plus optional oil, water & seasoning) and is exceptionally easy to make.
The main ingredients are:
You will also need:
- a can of light coconut milk or some other really creamy milk like cashew milk
- some ground nutmeg
- some fresh or dried thyme
- and pepper
Optional is some stale bread to make crispy, golden croutons.
Is it really optional though? I think croutons on soup should be mandatory!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP
Clean the leeks really well and slice them thinly.
If you are wondering how to wash them efficiently then have a little look at this slide show from Food Network.
Sauté the leeks in a little oil then add the cubed potatoes, cover with water and let simmer until tender.
Add coconut milk, nutmeg, seasoning and fresh or dried thyme if you have it.
Blend the soup, then return to the pan and warm through.
Make optional croutons if you want to! I have added instructions for making them too. They are an awesome way to bring stale bread to life!
WORRIED ABOUT THE COCONUT MILK?
If you are worried about the coconut flavour from the canned coconut milk, as long as you use light coconut milk, it is undetectable in the finished soup. If you really don't want to use it, substitute another thick and creamy milk like cashew milk.
Nutmeg might seem like a strange addition to Potato Leek Soup but it really works. It's my little secret weapon! You only need a tiny bit and it adds a lovely sweet, earthy depth to the flavour.
HOW TO SERVE VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP
The finished soup has a beautiful pale green colour and subtle, sweet and creamy leek flavour, and is wonderful served with some golden brown croutons sprinkled generously on top. Instructions for how to make them are included below. I also recommend serving fresh crusty bread spread with a generous schmear of my vegan butter on the side!
And if you love this recipe, please do check out my cookbook, and subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too!
(This recipe was originally published on Jan 5th 2016 and was updated on Feb 8th 2019)
Vegan Potato Leek SoupAuthor:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil , optional
- 2 large leeks , washed and sliced thinly, (use just the white and light green parts)
- 1125g | 5 cups potato , peeled and cubed
- 960mls | 4 cups water
- 1 can (398-400mls / 13.5 oz) light coconut milk , it must be light if you don't want to taste coconut in the finished soup *
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme (optional)
- Cubed bread Gluten-free if necessary, and it's better if it's a few days old
- Olive oil
- Heat the oil in a soup pan over a medium heat. f you prefer to cook oil-free, use a few tablespoons of water to sauté them in instead and add a little more as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add the sliced leeks and sauté for 5 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Add the potato and cook for another minute or two.
- Cover with the water and simmer until the potato is tender (test with a fork - it will take about 10 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and add the seasoning, coconut milk & nutmeg.
- Detach the thyme leaves from the stems by running your fingers up them and add to the soup.
- Pour into a blender or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return to the pan and allow to warm through over a medium low heat before serving.
For the optional croutons
- Preheat oven to 300
- Put cubes of bread in a bowl and spray with olive oil or drizzle over some oil and toss thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with a little salt then pour onto a baking tray and spread out into a single layer.
- Put into oven and bake until dried out and golden brown. Watch them as they don't take long at all. (5-10 minutes, 15 max).
- Cool and store in a sealed container.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.