Really quick and easy Vegan Broccoli Pasta that can be ready in less than 15 minutes. It's creamy, cheesy, tangy and loaded with broccoli!
Only a very small amount of time and a few ingredients stand between you and a skillet full of this garlicky, lemony, broccoli-packed, dangerously good and creamy Vegan Broccoli Pasta!
It's incredibly easy to make with no vegan cream or nuts required for the creamy sauce because it is made from blended broccoli florets and the broccoli stems! Genius or weird? I promise it tastes amazing though!
This is a really simple pasta dish that is naturally dairy-free. Here's what you need:
And a few ingredient notes:
- Broccoli - The broccoli florets and stems! I have only tested this recipe with fresh broccoli. Frozen will probably be ok but it might make the sauce a wee bit thinner and a little less tasty.
- Extra virgin olive oil - Adds delicious flavour and silky glossiness to the sauce. I recommend using it for the best results, but if you are oil-free the same amount of unsweetened unflavoured plant milk will work well.
- Lemon - The lemon juice and the lemon zest. Feel free to reduce the zest and juice or even omit it if you're not into a really lemony flavour or if you think the kids won't like it.
- Pasta - Any variety you like such as penne pasta or rigatoni. Even spaghetti will work. Use gluten-free pasta if necessary.
- Nutritional yeast - Adds delicious, slightly cheesy, savoury flavour. This is such a simple recipe that it can't really be omitted without affecting the overall flavour greatly.
You can throw in a handful of sliced vegan sausage or chicken if you want to, or sprinkle over some crispy nutritional yeast tofu, but broccoli is packed with protein anyway so it's really not necessary. I prefer to dive into this creamy vegan pasta head first, just as it is!
How To Make Vegan Broccoli Pasta
It's so quick and easy! Let me walk you through the process:
- Boil the pasta in a large pot. A few minutes before it's done add the broccoli.
- Scoop out 2 cups of broccoli florets and stems then blend with the other ingredients.
- Drain the remaining broccoli and pasta, return to the pan then add the sauce.
- Mix and garnish with vegan parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and some fresh basil if you have it.
Success Tip - Pasta water! Yep, the starchy boiling water you cooked the pasta in. Before draining the pasta scoop out a mug full, then when tossing the pasta in the sauce, add a splash of the pasta cooking water. The sauce will become extra glossy and cling to your pasta better!
Store leftover Vegan Broccoli Pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in a pan on the stove or in a microwave. Add a little water, extra virgin olive oil, or plant milk to moisten it up as needed.
More Vegan Pasta Recipes
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Vegan Broccoli PastaAuthor:
- 2 medium heads broccoli , the florets & the stems (about 700 grams/ 1½ lb / 24oz)
- 16 oz (453 grams) pasta , gluten-free if necessary
- 1 medium lemon , zest and juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil , (creamy plant milk for oil-free)
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chili flakes , OPTIONAL
- Fill a large pan with salted water and bring to a boil.
- While waiting for it to reach a rolling boil, break the broccoli into bite sized florets and slice the stalks into small chunky pieces.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes then add the broccoli pieces and stalks. Don't stir it. We want to keep the broccoli on the top. Cook until the pasta is tender (another 3 to 5 minutes depending on the variety).
- While waiting add the rest of the ingredients to a blender.
- Once the pasta is pretty much ready, scoop out about 2 cups or mug fulls of broccoli pieces using a slotted spoon. Don’t worry if you get a bit of water with them. Add them to the blender with the other ingredients and blend until smooth. You will end up with a thick, green, creamy sauce.
- Scoop out a mug full of the pasta water and reserve, then drain the pasta and remaining broccoli before returning to the pan.
- Spoon the sauce from the blender into the pasta and broccoli, along with about half a cup (120ml) of the reserved pasta water. Toss vigorously adding more pasta water as needed to thin.
- Taste to check seasoning, adjust as necessary, then serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.