Persimmon Toasts! With golden, crispity-crisp grilled sourdough, extra-virgin olive oil, swathes of dairy-free cream cheese, drizzles of vegan honey (or maple syrup), chili flakes, flaky sea salt, and a scattering of fresh thyme. They are so good, and perfect for lunch or as an appetizer!
Ok, hear me out. This might seem like a strange combination but OMG these Persimmon Toasts are crazy good!
This won't be my usual post with lots of tips and tricks and process shots, because these toasts are so simple and you don't need it. I debated sharing it at all because, well, it's not really much of a recipe.
But, I ended up eating it for lunch for seven days straight because it's so good. And that's what made me think that maybe I should share my new obsession.
So the gist of this is we are taking some good quality crusty sourdough bread (homemade if you're so inclined, or from a bakery if not), drizzling it with copious amounts of extra virgin olive oil, then frying (my preference) or grilling it until perfectly golden and toasty.
Top the cream cheese with juicy slices of persimmon, and then we go in with the finishing touches; a hefty drizzle of vegan honey (I love Bee-Mindful Hunnie or Single Origin Food's Un-Honey), vegan hot "honey", or maple syrup, a good sprinkle of chili flakes, flaky sea salt (I love Maldon), lots of cracked black pepper, and a scattering of fresh thyme leaves.
Such an unlikely combination of ingredients but a dream to eat! Enjoy these Persimmon Toasts for lunch, breakfast, as an appetizer, or make them mini with baguette instead of sourdough for parties.
It's worth noting that when persimmon aren't in season this recipe would work wonderfully with fresh strawberries, peaches, or nectarines.
More Toast Recipes
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
- 4 slices sourdough
- generous drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- 4 big dollops vegan cream cheese (plain) , or vegan ricotta
- 2 to 3 persimmon , sliced thinly (enough to cover most of the surface of the bread)
- vegan honey or maple syrup , or my vegan hot "honey"
- freshly ground black pepper
- flaky sea salt
- red chili pepper flakes
- fresh thyme leaves
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil generously over the bread slices then fry or grill until golden and crispy.
- Smear vegan cream cheese over the toast (I like to let the bread cool for a couple of minutes so the cream cheese doesn't melt too much), top with thinly sliced persimmon, drizzle over vegan honey, then sprinkle very generously with freshly ground black pepper, flaky sea salt, chili flakes, and fresh thyme leaves.