This quick and easy Kale Apple Smoothie is full of good-for-you ingredients & will help get your day off to a great start. And for you banana haters out there, it's banana-free!
This Kale Apple Smoothie is super fresh and delicious. It's made with simple ingredients and is packed with goodness, containing 250% of your daily required Vitamin A, 273% of your daily required Vitamin C, 62% of your calcium, and 24% of your iron!
It's also pretty low-calorie although there is the option to add a dollop of almond butter if you want to get a good helping of healthy fat and protein. It also makes the smoothie a little creamier.
Yes, this kale smoothie recipe tastes of kale, but it isn't too kale-y. The sweetness of the apple and a burst of fresh lemon really work well to tone it down. Check out my green smoothie if you prefer a creamier smoothie that doesn't taste "green" though.
I get requests all the time for banana-free smoothies. It seems there are a lot of banana haters out there. And even as someone who loves bananas, there are some flavour combos that they just don't really work with.
Kale and apple is one of them. Without banana, the flavour of the apple really comes through well and makes the kale taste, well....less kale-y.
"Yay" say the banana haters!
A high-powered blender will do the best job of getting the kale super smooth. Then your power-packed green smoothie will be ready for you to enjoy!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Kale Apple SmoothieAuthor:
- 2 large kale leaves , washed with stems removed
- 1 large apple , cored (no need to peel unless you want to).
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seed , or whole flax seeds
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ medium lemon , juice only
- ¾ cup (180 mls) plant-based milk
- 5 ice cubes , OPTIONAL but will make it colder and a bit thicker
- 1 tablespoon almond butter , OPTIONAL - It's great with or without
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. I use the smoothie setting on my Blendtec.
- Check the sweetness and add a drop more maple syrup and if you prefer a thinner smoothie add a little more plant milk.
- Serve immediately.