Transform those overripe spotty bananas into the Best Vegan Banana Bread. Loaded with chocolate chips and chopped nuts, it's perfectly moist, sweet and flavorful, and it's quick and easy to make all in one bowl!
Friends, my obsession with banana bread continues. Meet the Best Vegan Banana Bread. I made it and I loved it and now I am sharing it with you.
And guess what? It is a super-duper delicious, flavourful and moist vegan banana bread and it is about to become your new favourite sliceable snack.
This recipe is an adaptation of my Spelt Banana Bread, but we are taking it up a notch.
We're talking bananas in all their spotty overripe glory, hearty spelt flour (or sub for all purpose flour or a mix of whole wheat and all purpose), vegan chocolate chips and lots of chopped nuts (or not nuts if they aren't your thing - you can easily omit them).
Is it better than my Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread? I feel like a traitor for even thinking that. I think it might be but I'm finding it hard to commit and Mr AVV isn't able to pick a winner either. Can we call it a tie?
Our ingredient list isn't too complicated:
And a few notes:
- Overripe bananas - The spottier the better. Don't use underripe bananas.
- Flour - all purpose, spelt, whole wheat or a good quality all purpose gluten-free flour are all fine.
- Sugar - Any kind you like in this recipe. White, cane, brown, coconut are all fine.
- Oil - any neutral oil or use nut butter to keep the recipe oil-free.
- molasses - regular or blackstrap. It's my banana bread secret weapon!
How to make Vegan Banana Bread
- Mash those bananas up really, really well, then add the sugar along with all of the wet ingredients and beat together.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder, then gently stir in the nuts and chocolate.
- Dollop into your pan and bake.
The Best Vegan Banana Bread should be moist, hearty, satisfying, perfectly sweet and studded with nuts and chocolate chips and I think we can safely say we have all boxes checked.
Vegan Banana bread is great eaten just as it is, especially in lunch boxes or when snacking on the go, but you can also spread it with vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter or chocolate spread.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Best Vegan Banana BreadAuthor:
- 3 medium 7 to 8 inch long bananas , (weighing approx 375 grams or 13 oz in total when peeled). Plus some extra slices for the top if you can.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) liquid oil, or ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) of natural nut/seed butter
- ½ cup (100 grams) sugar , white, cane, brown or coconut
- 1 tablespoon molasses , blackstrap or regular
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cup (250 grams) all-purpose flour or spelt flour , (plain flour in the UK). Wholewheat flour or 1 to 1 Gluten-Free all purpose flour work well too
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup (85 grams) chocolate chips , plus a few more for sprinkling
- ½ cup (60 grams) chopped walnuts or pecans , (omit to make nut-free), plus a few more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8.5 x 4.5 inch or 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Line the pan with a strip of parchment paper along the bottom, making sure it comes up over the ends so you can use it as a handle to lift the loaf out once cooked.
- Peel the bananas then mash them really well with a fork until they are a puree.
- Add the coconut oil (or nut butter), sugar, black strap molasses and salt and beat well until smooth.
- Add the flour and baking powder and gently fold it all together. Do not over mix. You want it so that it is just combined and so that you cannot see any dry flour throughout the mixture. When almost mixed up, add the chocolate chips and nuts and stir gently to combine.
- Pour into your prepared pan and sprinkle over a few more chocolate chips or nuts, or both.
- Bake in oven for around 50 minutes or until a tooth pick or skewer comes out clean when inserted through the middle. Lift out of pan, remove parchment paper and cool on a cooling rack.