Make your dog’s day by baking some healthy, 3 ingredient, wheat-free & dairy-free Sweet Potato Dog Treats!
It’s not only me that loves sweet potatoes. My dog Chester does too. Whenever I cook them I always share some with him. He loves my Peanut Butter & Banana Dog Cookies but I decided to change things up a bit and make him some with sweet potato. It was a good decision because he goes absolutely nuts for these Sweet Potato Dog Treats.
Because he enjoys them so much I thought that those of you with dogs might appreciate the recipe too. With only three ingredients they are super easy to make and are much healthier for your dog than many of the store bought, processed varieties available.
Sweet potatoes are not only very nutritious for us, they are also extremely good for your dog. They are full of vitamins and minerals and are also high in antioxidants which aid healing and help to protect against cancer. They are also a great source of dietary fibre which is good for your dog’s digestive system and bowels.
Chester suffers from chronic ear infections and we have been advised by our vet to not feed him anything with wheat in it as it can make the problem worse. Because of this I usually make his cookies with oats as the grain component.
Oats are a well tolerated grain for most dogs and rarely trigger allergies. They contain anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing properties and are rich in silicon which helps make bones strong. They help prevent high blood pressure and clogged arteries and boost the immune system.
HOW TO MAKE THESE SWEET POTATO DOG TREATS
These Sweet Potato Dog Treats are so easy to make.
- Process the oats until they are like coarse flour
- Add the sweet potato and coconut oil
- Process until well combined and add just enough water to bring it all together into a dough
That’s it! So easy!
MODERATION IS KEY
As with all cookies, remember that moderation is key (as much as your dog might disagree!) These cookies are designed as a treat and should not be fed as a complete meal.
If you make these Sweet Potato Dog Treats for your dog, Chester and I would love to know what they both think of them. You can leave your feedback in the comments below and rate the recipe by hitting the yellow stars. I would love it if you could share some pictures with me too. I want to see your fur-babies eating their cookies! I am @avirtualvegan on Instagram and Twitter. If you use the hashtag #avirtualvegan I won’t miss them.
Yields About 34
Make your dog's day by baking some healthy, 3 ingredient, wheat-free & dairy-free Sweet Potato Dog Cookies!
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
- 2 cups rolled oats or quick oats
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add the oats to a food processor and process until they are a course flour like consistency.
- Add the cooked sweet potato and the coconut oil.
- Process until well combined.
- Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing in between each addition, until the mixture can be squeezed into a dough with your fingers,
- Tip out and knead together a bit so it's all in a big firm ball.
- Roll out to about 3 - 4 mm thick. I rolled mine out on a silicone mat but if you don't have one you might need to sprinkle some flour on the surface to stop the dough sticking. If your dog is wheat intolerant be sure to use oat flour (just process a few more oats until they are flour). You can also roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper if you prefer.
- Cut out into cookie shapes using a cookie cutter or just cut the dough into even pieces with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Keep an eye on them towards the end as they go from ok to slightly over done very quickly.
- Cook on a cooling rack and store in an airtight container.
These cookies keep well in an airtight container for a few weeks.