Easy, fluffy, and perfectly spiced Vegan Zucchini Bread! It's loaded with shredded zucchini and mix-ins of choice. You can use nuts, dried fruit or chocolate chips and unlike most recipes you don't need to squeeze/blot the zucchini!
Vegan Zucchini Bread is here just in time for zucchini season! And when I say 'bread" I really mean "cake" but cooked in a loaf pan.
This dairy-free and eggless zucchini bread is a moist, sweet, deliciously spiced cake that is soft, fluffy and hearty all at the same time. It's so good for breakfast or snacks, spread with some vegan butter and vegan honey. I love bumble bloom!
Prefer muffins? Check out my Vegan Zucchini Muffins instead!
Let's take a look at what you need to make Vegan Zucchini Bread:
And some ingredient notes:
- Zucchini - For those in the UK we're talking courgettes ;o)
- Flour - You can use all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, spelt flour or gluten-free flour in this recipe.
- Plant milk - Any such as almond milk, oat milk or cashew milk will do. Unsweetened and unflavoured is best.
- Sugar - Any sugar will work in this recipe. White sugar, cane sugar, brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Oil - Any liquid oil such as canola oil, liquid coconut oil, light olive oil, sunflower or vegetable oil.
- Spices - The cinnamon and nutmeg taste amazing with zucchini. They can however be replaced with allspice.
- Ground flax - Really important in this recipe. It binds and is also super absorbent, soaking up a lot of moisture from the zucchini.
- Mix-ins - For texture, flavor and interest. Use nuts such as walnuts or pecans, dried fruit or chocolate chips.
Success Tip - If using melted coconut oil, make sure your plant milk is at room temperature before mixing up the batter otherwise it will solidify and make things difficult to mix up properly.
How to make Vegan Zucchini Bread
Vegan Zucchini Bread is easy to make. Here's how:
- Grate the zucchini. No need to peel it or squeeze/blot it. I use my food processor and it literally takes seconds, but even if you have to so it manually it won't take long. Then mix the grated zucchini with the other wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture then add the mix-ins.
- Spoon into a parchment paper lined loaf pan, top with a few more chopped nuts (or chocolate chips) and a sprinkle of sugar then bake. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
Success Tip - The batter is very thick. Don't be tempted to add more milk. The zucchini will release enough moisture to ensure your loaf is perfect.
The sugar that gets sprinkled on the top before baking gets irresistibly crunchy and delicious!
No. They will not work in this recipe.
No. Zucchini bread is already very moist. Apple sauce will add too much extra moisture. Cashew butter is a better choice to make this recipe oil-free. Details of how to use it are given in the recipe card.
No. Maple syrup will make the batter too wet.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Vegan Zucchini BreadAuthor:
- 1¼ packed cups (250 grams) grated zucchini (courgette) , about 2 small or 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups (250 grams) flour , spelt, all purpose flour (plain in the UK), wholewheat or 1 to 1 GF baking flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda , (bicarbonate of soda in the UK)
- ¾ cup (150 grams) sugar , white or brown, plus a little more for sprinkling on the top.
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon , (or replace the cinnamon & nutmeg with 1½ teaspoons allspice).
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed , (it must be ground and not whole seeds)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (150 mls) plant milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 mls) liquid oil of choice , use cashew or almond butter instead for oil-free (blend it into the milk before adding).
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar , or lemon juice (important - do not omit)
- 1 cup (145 grams) mix-ins of choice , chopped nuts, dried fruit or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and grease and line a loaf pan.
- Grate the zucchini. I use the grating attachment on my food processor. Then add it along with the plant milk, vanilla extract, oil and apple cider vinegar to a bowl and stir together.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and ground flax seed to another large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet zucchini mixture into the dry mixture and stir together with a spatula until just combined. It's a stiff batter, and at first will feel and look too dry, but be patient and it will come together as the zucchini lets out it's moisture.
- Add mix-ins of choice and stir gently to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle on a generous amount of sugar and some extra nuts or chocolate chips if using, then bake for 70 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave for 10 to 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience. The data is a computer generated estimate and should be used as a guide only.
This recipe was originally published on July 24th 2019. I've tweaked the post a bit, added a video and now I am republishing it for you. The recipe remains the same.