Thick, hearty and creamy Vegan Potato Soup. It's really simple to make and very budget-friendly. You can enjoy it just as it is, or get fancy with toppings. I like to finish mine off with some crumbled tempeh bacon, crispy roasted potato chunks & a sprinkle of parsley for a pop of colour!
Who's up for a bowl of the best comforting, creamy, Vegan Potato Soup? If so you are in the right place!
You all know I love potatoes. I could eat my Crispy Roasted Potatoes until they come out of my ears. Sometimes though, I want budget-friendly, soft and soothing, potato-centric comfort food instead, like this Vegan Potato Soup, or my creamy vegan leek and potato soup.
This is such a simple soup to make. Here is what you need:
How To Make Vegan Potato Soup
And here's how it's done:
- Saute the onions, celery, carrots and garlic, then add the seasonings and flour.
- Add the non-dairy milk and stock gradually, making sure to work out any lumps as you go.
- Add the bay leaf and potatoes.
- Simmer until the potatoes are starting to break down and the soup is thick and creamy.
It's such a simple recipe, and makes a really lovely family dinner. Even better, it reheats perfectly and makes great leftovers.
This Vegan Potato Soup is perfectly smooth, rich and creamy without any cream, and it's chunky and super-filling. You won't be hungry an hour after eating it like with a lot of soups.
So get on your comfy pants, thick fluffy socks, and grab a massive bowl full of this Vegan Potato Soup, snuggle up on the sofa, and soothe the day away!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Vegan Potato SoupAuthor:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter , or olive oil, or to make oil-free omit and use a few tablespoons of water for sautéing instead
- 2 medium onions , chopped finely
- 2 ribs celery , diced
- 2 large carrots , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons salt , plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour , or gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 cups (480 mls) non dairy milk , cashew milk or soy milk are my milks of choice for savory recipes but any other unsweetened creamy non-dairy milk will work too
- 2½ - 3 cups (600 - 720 mls) flavourful vegetable broth/stock , divided
- 5 medium (about 700 grams) potatoes , cut into ½ inch cubes ( I like to use Yukon Gold or red potatoes)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg , (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- To a large saucepan, add the vegan butter/oil and warm over a medium heat before adding the onions, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are just starting to get a little colour, then add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper, then the flour to the pan and stir it all around for about a minute to cook the raw flour taste out, then slowly add the soy milk, stirring as you go to work out any lumps. Then add the vegetable broth (reserving about ½ a cup / 120 mls) , chopped potatoes, nutmeg and the bay leaf.
- Stir really well then let it simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and just starting to break down. Add all of, or some of, the reserved ½ a cup / 120 mls of broth if you prefer a thinner consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve as it is, or with toppings. See the post above for ideas.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.